1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro. Linear Algebra

1. Jan 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the system:
    (1) 6x + ky = 0
    (2) 4x + 6y = 0

The system will have a unique solution when k is:
    (a) equal to 9
    (b) any real number

Which statements are true.

2. Relevant equations
    (1) 6x + ky = 0
    (2) 4x + 6y = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

If m=n (number of equations is equal to number of unknowns) and the matrix is nonsingular (the determinant does not equal zero), then the system has a unique solution in the n variables.

Here, the determinant (ad-bc) equals zero when k = 9.
    9 is also a real number.

Therefore, neither (a) or (b) can be true.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2014 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I think you've got this mixed up. If the matrix is nonsingular, then it has an inverse, right? so then would it make sense that there is a unique solution if the matrix has an inverse?

p.s. welcome to physicsforums :)

edit: hmm. actually, see what happens if you assume the matrix has an inverse. Is there a unique solution in that case? And then consider the other case, where k is any number. So, think of the two cases separately.

second edit: sorry If I'm being confusing. I'm going back on what I originally said. you did not have it mixed up.

4. Jan 17, 2014 #3
    Hold on, because I lost something here.
    To have a unique solution, two conditions must be satisfied:
    (1) m=n
    which is true in my example

(2) system must be nonsingular (determinant must not equal zero / have an inverse).
    this is only true when k does not equal 9 (when k=9, then ad-bc = 0)
    9 is also a real number.

So technically the answer would be any real number, excluding 9.
    Which means options A and B are both wrong.
    IMO.
    No?

Hehe, thank for the welcome, and the swift response!

5. Jan 17, 2014 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

hehe, sorry about my first post, I rushed to give an answer without properly thinking, which is usually a bad idea, as I'm sure you know.

OK, yes there needs to be m=n and determinant not equal zero for a unique solution. And in this case, for k=9, the determinant is zero. So can't have k=9, if you want unique solution. so a) is definitely incorrect. and b) ... well, you're right, b) looks to be incorrect too, since 9 is a real number.

edit: although, the phrase for b) is: "The system will have a unique solution when k is any real number" It feels like they are trying to say "the system will have a unique solution for some k, which is a real number". The second phrase would be correct. But since they have actually written the first phrase, I think you must take it literally, and so the phrase is incorrect.

edit again: I should probably say 'statement' instead of 'phrase', since I think 'statement' is the proper way to talk about a logical yes or no.

6. Jan 17, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wonder if you read or copied the problem correctly (or if it had been originally written correctly). If it had said "The system will not have a unique solution when" then the two options would make sense.

7. Jan 17, 2014 #6
    Yeah, question is written exactly as it is in my notes ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted