Looking for a Materials Science Textbook?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a textbook for a materials science course. The person asking the question is looking for a textbook that covers topics like crystals, lattices, symmetries, diffraction, microstructure, and mechanical behavior of materials. They mention that they couldn't remember the textbook they used in undergrad, but suggest checking out some lecture notes. The person who graduated in 2012 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering recommends a book called "Intro to Mat Science" for the course, but notes that it may require some pre-requisite knowledge in physics and calculus. The person asking the question is hoping to use the textbook as a reference for further reading. The person who recommended the book mentions that they didn't use it
etotheipi
Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with a textbook that deals with topics like crystals+lattices+symmetries, diffraction, microstructure, mechanical behaviour of materials, etc.? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I wish I could remember the textbook that I had in undergrad, but it's been too long. Check out these lecture notes -- they seem to have a lot of good material in them:

http://people.virginia.edu/~lz2n/mse209/

1602258211518.png

Likes etotheipi
I graduated in 2012 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering.

We used this book - that exact edition.
Intro to Mat Science (the course) tends to rely less on math than the next course in mat sci.

It's pretty good but it should be noted that intro to materials science has a few pre-req's: a few quarters of college physics and 2 quarters of calculus I believe.

What are you hoping to use it for?

• Informative
Likes Demystifier and etotheipi
That looks very nice, I scanned the contents and I think it covers everything! The MatSci course I'm doing is supposed to be self-contained (in that a textbook is not required), however I thought it might be a good idea to borrow a suitable textbook from the library as a reference, just for further reading.

alright! Just an FYI, I didn't use that book for subsequent mat sci courses. If this isn't your first mat sci course, you might need a more advanced book.

Likes etotheipi

1. What topics are typically covered in a materials science textbook?

A materials science textbook typically covers topics such as atomic structure, crystallography, materials characterization techniques, mechanical properties, electrical properties, thermal properties, and processing techniques.

2. What are the best materials science textbooks for beginners?

Some popular materials science textbooks for beginners include "Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering" by William D. Callister Jr., "Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch, and "Materials Science and Engineering: A First Course" by V. Raghavan.

3. Are there any materials science textbooks that focus on a specific type of material?

Yes, there are materials science textbooks that focus on specific types of materials such as metals, polymers, ceramics, and composites. Some examples include "Physical Metallurgy Principles" by Reza Abbaschian and Robert E. Reed-Hill for metals, "Polymer Science and Technology" by Joel R. Fried for polymers, and "Introduction to Ceramics" by W. David Kingery for ceramics.

4. What are some good resources for finding a materials science textbook?

Some good resources for finding a materials science textbook include online bookstores such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble, university bookstores, and websites of major publishers like Wiley, Elsevier, and Springer. You can also ask for recommendations from professors, colleagues, or online forums.

5. Are there any online materials science textbooks available?

Yes, there are several online materials science textbooks available, such as "Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch, "Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering" by John D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch, and "Materials Science and Engineering: A First Course" by V. Raghavan. These textbooks can be accessed through websites like OpenStax and MIT OpenCourseWare.