Maximizing Golf Ball Distance and Hole in One: Intro Physics HW Help

In summary, the ball spends 45 degrees in the air and the golfer can make the longest "hole in one" if the ball does not roll when it hits the ground.
lolo
hey everyone, i have a few questions that i just don't understand.
1) a golfer imparts a speed of 27.0m/s to a ball, it travels the max possible distance b4 landing on the green. the tee and the green are at the same level. a) how much time does the ball spend in the air? b) wat is the longest "hole in one" that the golfer can make, if the ball does not roll when it hits the ground?

i would really really appreciate ur help and if someone can do these problems can u please give clear solutions?
thanx alot

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe 45 degrees is the angle that produces the longest distance in projectile motion.

a)
[tex]y = y_0 + v_{0y}t + \frac{1}{2}a_yt^2[/tex]
[tex]x = x_0 + v_{0x}t + \frac{1}{2}a_xt^2[/tex]
Both equations (especially the latter) reduce quite nicely with some logical thinking (what sort of velocity has an effect on the time?). Then just put the equations together and find the maximum (hint: derivate). Quickly done: 45 degrees does look like the correct answer. Now just throw the angle into the (reduced) equation you got in the first step.
Hint: Express [itex]v_0[/itex] in [itex]v_{0y}[/itex] and [itex]v_{0x}[/itex]

b) You already got the equation you need in a). Now just throw the velocity in and you're done.

Last edited:
Päällikkö said:
a)
[tex]y = y_0 + v_{0y}t + \frac{1}{2}a_yt^2[/tex]
[tex]x = x_0 + v_{0x}t + \frac{1}{2}a_xt^2[/tex]
Both equations (especially the latter) reduce quite nicely with some logical thinking (what sort of velocity has an effect on the time?). Then just put the equations together and find the maximum (hint: derivate). Quickly done: 45 degrees does look like the correct answer. Now just throw the angle into the (reduced) equation you got in the first step.
Hint: Express [itex]v_0[/itex] in [itex]v_{0y}[/itex] and [itex]v_{0x}[/itex]

b) You already got the equation you need in a). Now just throw the velocity in and you're done.

thanks that also just helped me

but i simply used the equation for range to find longest
distance which is same as X, R=X= Vox*T,

1. What topics are typically covered in intro physics homework?

Intro physics homework typically covers basic concepts such as motion, forces, energy, and electricity. It may also include topics like vectors, kinematics, and simple harmonic motion.

2. How can I improve my understanding of intro physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of intro physics concepts, it is important to practice solving problems and to seek help from your instructor or peers when needed. It may also be helpful to review class notes and read supplementary materials.

3. Are there any online resources or tools that can assist with intro physics homework?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools that can assist with intro physics homework. Some examples include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and Physics Stack Exchange.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in intro physics homework?

Common mistakes to avoid in intro physics homework include not fully understanding the problem, not using proper units, and not showing all steps in the solution. It is also important to double check calculations and make sure they are accurate.

5. How can I approach a difficult intro physics problem?

When faced with a difficult intro physics problem, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Make sure to identify what is given and what you are trying to find, and then apply relevant equations and principles. It can also be beneficial to discuss the problem with classmates or your instructor for different perspectives.