Intro. Physics: scaling problem

In summary, the problem involves a sculptor needing to determine the amount of bronze and varnish needed for a statue that is 5 times larger in each dimension than the model. The density of bronze is not important. The volume of the statue will be 125 times greater and the surface area will be increased by a certain factor depending on the shape of the statue. The surface area formulas for a cube, sphere, and cylinder are provided for reference.
Antepolleo
I am having dificulty with this homework problem. It doesn't seem to give me enough information. I am asked to find the volume and surface area of an object of unknown volume and shape. Here is the problem:

A sculptor builds a model for a statue of a terrapin to replace Testudo (go UMD!). She discovers that to cast her small scale model she needs 2kg of bronze. When she is done, she finds that she can give it two coats of varnish. the final statue is supposed to be 5 times as large as the model in each dimension. How much bronze will she need? How much varnish should she buy?

I tried tackleing the problem by assuming that the professor wanted me to look up the density of bronze (for which I found many different types of bronze and therefore many different densities possible) in order to calculate the volume.

I used the value that bronze's density was 8000kg/m^3 and calcluated that the final sculpture would need 250kg of bronze. Now I am unsure of how to figure out the surface area of the sculpture with what I know. Can someone give me some insight?

Hopefully my way of tackleing the volume portion of the problem was correct.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The density of bronze is not important!

The height, width and depth of the statue will be 5 times greater.

The volume of the statue will be ___ times greater.

The surface are of the statue will be ___ time greater.

If the height, width, and depth are all 5 times greater than I know that the volume would be 125 times greater but how do I relate that to the surface area?

The surface area of a cube whise edges have a length of 'l' is 6l^2.

The surface area of a sphere whose radius is r is 4pi*r^2.

The surface area of a cyclinder whose radius is r and height is h is: 2pi*r^2 + 2pi*r*h

What does increasing all their dimensions by 5 do to their surface area?

1. What is the "scaling problem" in introductory physics?

The scaling problem in introductory physics refers to the difficulty students often have in applying the concepts and equations they learn to real-world situations. It involves being able to recognize the relevant variables and relationships in a problem and use them to solve it accurately.

2. Why is the scaling problem important to understand?

Understanding the scaling problem is important because it is a fundamental aspect of learning and applying physics concepts. If students are not able to effectively scale problems, they may struggle to solve more complex physics problems and may not fully grasp the underlying concepts.

3. How can students overcome the scaling problem?

One way for students to overcome the scaling problem is through practice and repetition. By regularly solving physics problems and actively thinking about how to apply the concepts, students can improve their ability to scale problems accurately and efficiently.

4. What are some common mistakes students make when dealing with the scaling problem?

Some common mistakes students make when dealing with the scaling problem include using incorrect equations, not considering all relevant variables, and misinterpreting the given information. Students may also struggle with understanding the underlying principles behind the equations and how they relate to real-world situations.

5. How can teachers help students with the scaling problem?

Teachers can help students with the scaling problem by providing ample opportunities for practice and by emphasizing the importance of understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing equations. They can also give students feedback and guidance on how to approach and scale problems effectively.