Searching for Calculus-Based Physics, Stats & Advanced Calc Books

In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for a Calculus-based Physics textbook for self-study over the summer. They did not enjoy the Giancoli textbook and are looking for one that covers a wide range of material. They also request recommendations for a college level Statistics book and a book to use after high school Calculus. One recommendation they received is the Physics v1 textbook by Resnick, Halliday & Krane. They suggest reading sample chapters before purchasing to see if it suits their style.
rEhxyz
I'll get right to it.

I've been looking for a Calculus based Physics textbook to self-study over summer, so far I've already taken an algebraic based AP Physics course (this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0136119719/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But I didn't like Giancoli's book a whole lot, it was a little confusing until I got sort of used to it and the concepts still seem a little fuzzy. And so I was hoping someone could recommend me a good Calculus based physics book, preferably one that covers as much material as possible and can be used for self-study (again since I'll be doing it over the summer).

Also if possible it would be great if someone could recommend me a college level Statistics book and whatever comes after high school calculus
(I have already taken it [high school calc]--used this book):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0669164062/?tag=pfamazon01-20
(great book by the way)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I really like these:
"[URL[/URL]
Physics v1; Resnick, Halliday & Krane. 5th edition.[/URL]
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471401943/?tag=pfamazon01-20[/URL]

Those are the ones I used in my general physics courses. I remember putting a lot of effort into 'em (ie re-reading sections, working the examples and solving most of the problems.), but it was well worth it.

As usual when buying books, read some chapters first to see if it suits your style.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would recommend checking out "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Young and Freedman for a calculus-based physics textbook. It covers a wide range of topics and is often used in college level courses. For statistics, "Introduction to Probability and Statistics" by Mendenhall and Beaver is a highly recommended textbook for college level courses. For advanced calculus, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Stewart is a popular choice. It's important to find a textbook that you feel comfortable with and that suits your learning style, so I would also suggest browsing through different options and reading reviews before making a final decision. Happy studying!

1. What is the difference between calculus-based physics and algebra-based physics?

Calculus-based physics is a more mathematically rigorous approach to studying physics, where calculus is used to analyze and solve problems. Algebra-based physics, on the other hand, uses mainly algebraic equations and concepts to understand various physical phenomena. Calculus-based physics is typically taken by students majoring in physics, engineering, or other related fields, while algebra-based physics is more commonly taken by students in non-science majors.

2. What are some recommended calculus-based physics textbooks?

Some popular textbooks for calculus-based physics include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. These books cover a wide range of topics in mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, and are commonly used in undergraduate physics courses.

3. Are there any online resources for studying calculus-based physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying calculus-based physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, HyperPhysics, and Physics Classroom. These websites offer free tutorials, practice problems, and simulations to help students better understand and visualize physics concepts.

4. What is the importance of studying statistics in physics?

Statistics plays a crucial role in physics, as it allows us to analyze and interpret data collected from experiments and observations. It helps us make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of physical systems. In addition, statistics is also used in the development and testing of theories and models in physics.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in calculus to study advanced physics?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus is essential for studying advanced physics. Many complex physical phenomena and theories involve concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. Without a solid foundation in calculus, it can be challenging to grasp these concepts and their applications in physics.