Projectile Motion: Solving for Initial Velocity and Height

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of finding the initial speed of a ball that is projected horizontally from a table and strikes the floor at a certain distance. The first part of the question is solved by finding the time and using a projectile motion equation to calculate the initial speed. The second part of the question involves finding the vertical velocity when the angle with the horizontal is given. The conversation then discusses using the tangent ratio to find the vertical velocity and solving for it. Finally, the question is rephrased to ask for the location of the ball when its vertical speed is -3.00 m/s, which can be solved using a kinematic equation.
perfect_piccolo
Having some trouble with the last part of this question:

A ball is projected horizontally from the edge of a table that is 1.11 m high, and it strikes the floor at a point 1.36 m from the base of the table. What is the initial speed of the ball?

How high is the ball above the floor when its velocity vector makes a 46.4o angle with the horizontal?

So I've got the answer to the first part (yea me) by doing this:

First I solved for time, and got an answer of 0.476 seconds (I know I'm cheating by not typing the wquation out but I'm not sure how to type out square roots and intiial velocities and all those lovely little signs)

Then I went:

Delta x = v(intitial)(cos theda int)t
v=1.36 m / 0.476 s
v = 2.86 m/s

So I've got my initial velocity of 2.86 m/s.

So my problem comes with this second part of the question:How high is the ball above the floor when its velocity vector makes a 46.4o angle with the horizontal?

So I think I would be looking for Vy at 46.4 degrees, but I'm not sure how to find that, because all of the equations I know only contain initial theda, not some random theda along the way. Is this solved witha projectile motion equation, is it a purely vector related question, or a combination of both? Should I be using other information in the question?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What value of Vy will give you the required angle?

hmmm I need more of a hint I'm afriad...I'm not sure how I can find Vy if I only have the angle...I don't know what the size of the vector is (do I?), or otherwise I could go
Vy=Vsin(theda)

perfect_piccolo said:
hmmm I need more of a hint I'm afriad...I'm not sure how I can find Vy if I only have the angle...I don't know what the size of the vector is (do I?), or otherwise I could go
Vy=Vsin(theda)

If you know the angle is 46.4... what do you know about tan(46.4) ? or rather tan(-46.4)

hmmm I know that tan(-46.4)=(Vy / Vx) So if I calculate that out I get tan -46.4 = -1.05, but I'm not sure what that means. Is that the Vy value, or do I still have steps to go?

You have another step to go. The tangent equals the ratio Vy/Vx. You found the tangent, and you know Vx, so you can solve for Vy.

Ok this may sound really lame (don't worry, I'm used to it lol) but how do I know what Vx is? The only x value I know is the total change in distance along the x-axis, which is 1.36 m. That's not the Vx value is it? Or is the velocity that I found (2.86 m/s) Vx?

perfect_piccolo said:
Or is the velocity that I found (2.86 m/s) Vx?
Yes. That's the horizontal component of the velocity, which remains constant (gravity affects only the vertical component).

so if tan(-46.4)=(Vy / Vx) ;
-1.05 (2.86 m/s) = Vy
-3.00 m/s = Vy ?

Looks good to me.

that's good :D But I'm still confused about how to answer the question.

How high is the ball above the floor when its velocity vector makes a 46.4o angle with the horizontal?

Answer this question instead: Where is the ball when its vertical speed is -3.00 m/s?

I don't know how to answer that question :( Does it use a projectile motion equation?

Yes. You'll need the kinematic equation describing accelerated motion. The vertical component of the projectile's motion is accelerated.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a form of motion in which an object's horizontal and vertical components are independent of each other.

2. What are the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, the force of gravity, and the air resistance. These factors determine the path and speed of the object as it moves through the air.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the range equation and the maximum height equation. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational force to determine the path of the projectile.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components in projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion of the object along the x-axis, while the vertical component refers to the motion along the y-axis. The horizontal component is unaffected by gravity, while the vertical component is affected by both the initial velocity and gravitational force.

5. Can air resistance affect projectile motion?

Yes, air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object as it moves through the air. This force becomes more significant at higher velocities and can change the trajectory and speed of the object. In some cases, air resistance can also cause the object to deviate from its intended path.