Projectile Motion Homework: Finding Initial Speed and Flight Time

In summary, the conversation discussed finding an expression for the initial speed of a bullet shot straight up into the air, based on its maximum height of 612 m. The solution involved using the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, where Vf is the final velocity (in this case, 0), Vi is the initial velocity, a is acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance (in this case, the maximum height of 612 m). The resulting expression for initial velocity was 2ad, and a numeric value could be found by substituting the known values into the equation.
kinslow31

Homework Statement

A bullet is shot straight up into the air. It reaches a maximum height at h = 612 m.

Find an expression for the initial speed of the ball.

Using your previous results find a numeric time for the total flight time, t until the ball reaches the ground.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I am assuming at initial speed y is 0 although it seems like Vo would be zero there to but if i do i got Vot=(1/2)gt^2 Vo = (1/2)gt i think that's right for projectile motion, if it is the expression for t is = 2Vo/g because at that time y=yo=0, but now how do i get a numeric value for it i can't figure out Vo, initial velocity, is it just zero? I am pretty stuck here

Physics news on Phys.org
If the bullet had an initial muzzle velocity of 0 coming out of the gun, how high would it go?

You are given how high the bullet goes and that it is traveling straight up (against gravity). You also need to realize that the bullet's velocity at its highest point is 0. With that information in hand, you need to relate initial and final velocity to acceleration and distance - initial velocity should be your only unknown (which you can solve for).

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion where an object follows a curved path instead of a straight line due to the constant acceleration of gravity.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The initial velocity and angle of projection determine the direction and speed of the projectile, while air resistance and the force of gravity affect the trajectory and distance traveled.

3. How is projectile motion calculated?

Projectile motion can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the equations of motion and the kinematic equations. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of projection, and time to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at any given time during its motion.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion refers to the motion of an object in the horizontal direction, while vertical projectile motion refers to the motion of an object in the vertical direction. In horizontal projectile motion, the initial velocity and acceleration are only in the horizontal direction, while in vertical projectile motion, they are only in the vertical direction.

5. What are some real-world examples of projectile motion?

Some real-world examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, kicking a soccer ball, and launching a rocket into space. All of these situations involve an object being launched into the air and following a curved path due to the force of gravity.