QM Questions: Intro & Two Conceptual Issues

• Thread starter hotcommodity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intro Qm
In summary: The uncertainty principle applies to the position and momentum of the particle as it's in the slit, and then after it's out.
hotcommodity
I'm preparing for an upcoming course in QM by working out of a textbook, and I've encountered a handful of conceptual questions that I'm having trouble answering. I figured it best to ask my questions in a single thread, so as not to clutter the subforum. Also, I chose the general physics subforum because it's unlikely that I'll be asking anything that may be considered advanced physics (but feel free to move the thread if need be).

To start with:

1. The wavelength of a matter wave is, of course, given by [tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]. If an object has zero momentum, does its wavelength get arbitrarily large? And if so, why doesn't its wave nature dominate?

2. Let's say that a beam of electrons are moving through a single slit (with a width comparable to the wavelength of the electron). The electrons would then show up all over the screen/detector that lay behind the single slit. Could we say that the electrons show up at all places on the screen at a constant rate? Or would we only be able to speak in terms of the average rate of electron detection for any given region on the screen?

Any help is welcome and appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) This is a bit of a trick question, what you should be asking yourself, is: Is it possible for something to have something with zero velocity? (think in the quantum realm, not classical)

2) For this one, remember that quantum mechanics is all about probability.

Another way of saying the same thing PiratePhysicist said, IF the momentum were 0, what would the uncertainty principle say about its postition?

Thank you both for the replies.

HallsofIvy said:
Another way of saying the same thing PiratePhysicist said, IF the momentum were 0, what would the uncertainty principle say about its postition?

If the momentum were zero, there would be zero uncertainty in the object's momentum, which would make the uncertainty in the object's position infinitely large. But I'm not sure what physical concept that reveals... Does it mean that the object is equally likely to be found anywhere?

Yeah, so basically, it's impossible to have something with zero velocity.

That makes sense, thank you.

I have another question in regard to the uncertainty principle.

3. My book states "Because the width of a diffraction pattern, related to [tex]\Delta p_x[/tex], is inversely proportional to the slit width, related to [tex]\Delta x[/tex], the uncertainties are inversely proportional. (using the example of a single slit pattern).

So my question is, when we're speaking of uncertainties in position and momentum, are we speaking of (a) the uncertainty in the position & momentum of the particle while it's in the slit? (b) the uncertainty in the position & momentum of the particle just after it leaves the slit? (c) the uncertainty in the position & momentum of the particle once it registers on the screen? Or (d) (As I believe the quote above implies) the uncertainty in the position of the particle while it's in the slit, and the uncertainty of the momentum of the particle as it registers on the screen?

Again, any help is appreciated.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level. It explains the strange and counterintuitive behavior of particles such as electrons and photons, and has led to significant advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.

2. What are the key principles of quantum mechanics?

The key principles of quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and superposition. These principles explain how particles can behave as both waves and particles, how certain properties of particles cannot be simultaneously known with precision, and how particles can exist in multiple states at the same time.

3. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature. Additionally, classical mechanics does not involve the wave-particle duality or superposition, which are key concepts in quantum mechanics.

4. What are the implications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many implications in various fields, including technology, chemistry, and cosmology. It has led to the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. In chemistry, quantum mechanics helps explain the behavior of atoms and molecules, and in cosmology, it is used to understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

5. What are some current challenges in quantum mechanics?

One current challenge in quantum mechanics is the development of a theory of quantum gravity, which would unify quantum mechanics with Einstein's theory of general relativity. Another challenge is understanding and harnessing the potential of quantum computing, which could greatly increase computational power. Additionally, there is ongoing research to better understand the interpretation of quantum mechanics and its implications for our understanding of reality.