Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Quantum subscripts and operators, can someone please clarify these in this prob

1. Dec 31, 2012 #1
    I'm working with flow equations right now and have been stuck on this one part (I'm re-doing the work of one of my professors).

I figured it would just be way easier to take a picture and post it rather than type up all the bra's and ket's and subscripts, etc. So here(http://i.imgur.com/RYY6Y.jpg) it is.

I'm getting lost when the derivative of Vij is taken. I tried to work back-words from it and get lost with trying to commute it to my derivative. This is most likely because I'm confused about the subscripts. As for the part when i={a,b} for T, I think I get what is going on but again, slightly confused as to why the z-pauli matrix was chosen with the Identity matrix.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted