Intro Thermodynamics equilibrium problem

In summary, thermodynamic equilibrium is the state in which a system's properties do not change over time. It is achieved when all processes within the system are in balance. There are two types of equilibrium: dynamic and static. The three types of thermodynamic equilibrium are thermal, mechanical, and chemical. Entropy, which measures a system's disorder, is closely related to thermodynamic equilibrium.
tri5

Homework Statement

A 3.6-kg block of ice originally at 263 K is placed in thermal contact with a 13-kg block of silver (cAg = 233 J/kg-K) which is initially at 1006 K. The H2O and silver system is insulated from any other heat transfer.

1)At what temperature will the system achieve equilibrium?
2)What will be the phase of the H2O at equilibrium?

CONSTANTS
g = 9.81 m/sec2
π = 4*arctan(1)
Atmospheric Pressure = 101,300 Pa
Density of Freshwater = 1000 kg/m3
Density of Saltwater = 1028 kg/m3
Specific Heat Capacity of Water = 4186 J/K*kg
Specific Heat Capacity of Ice = 2200 J/K*kg
Latent Heat of Fusion for Water = 333,400 J/kg
Latent Heat of Vaporization for Water = 2,260,000 J/kg
Gas Constant R = 8.134 J/mol-K
σb = 5.670 X 10-8W m-2K-4
k = 1.37 X 10-23 J/K
0°C = 273.15K

Homework Equations

Q=m*c*ΔT
Q=m*C

The Attempt at a Solution

In the attachment below.
As a note I used the specific heat of water(4186 J/K*kg) for C sub water,T sub i for water as 373.15 K and T sub i for silver as 1006 K.

I used the fact the heat from the block of silver is released and absorbed by the block of ice. The ice will have to raise its temperature of 263 K to 273.15 K, then it go through a phase change turning to water, then the waters temperature is raised to 373.15 K, then the water goes through another phase change to turn into steam, the final temperature of the steam is then the temperature of the system in thermal equilibrium. I made the previous assumptions due to the block of silver is at 1006 K which is 723 °C(way above the boiling point of water). The first time I worked out the problem I got a ridiculous answer(it came out to a figure that suggested the system increased in temperature). I then changed a few signs, which then gave me a more reasonable answer, that still gave me a wrong answer. I'm starting think that the ideal gas law may play a part in this, since the water has turned into steam.

Attachments

• A68MS8hBHHELBdAB4EAR1T53.jpg
    A68MS8hBHHELBdAB4EAR1T53.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,171
Physics news on Phys.org
From your calculations, how much heat would you have to add to raise the temperature of the water from ice at -10 C to liquid water at 100 C?

How much heat would you have to remove from the silver to cool it from 1006 K to 373 K (100 C)?

What does this tell you about whether the final temperature is going to be >100C or <100C?

Chet

Thanks for the help! I figured it out. The ice cube goes from 263 K to 273.15 K, then a phase change from solid to liquid, then the liquid(water) increases in temperature to the final temperature,which is the temperature of equilibrium for the system.

1. What is thermodynamic equilibrium?

Thermodynamic equilibrium is the state in which a system's properties, such as temperature, pressure, and composition, do not change over time. This means that the system is in balance and has reached a steady state.

2. How is thermodynamic equilibrium achieved?

Thermodynamic equilibrium is achieved when the rates of all processes within a system, such as chemical reactions and energy transfer, are equal. This can occur spontaneously or through external influences, such as changing the temperature or pressure.

3. What is the difference between dynamic and static equilibrium?

In dynamic equilibrium, there is a continuous flow of matter and energy within a system, but the overall properties remain constant. In static equilibrium, there is no flow of matter or energy and the system is completely stable.

4. What are the three types of thermodynamic equilibrium?

The three types of thermodynamic equilibrium are thermal equilibrium, mechanical equilibrium, and chemical equilibrium. Thermal equilibrium occurs when two objects are at the same temperature, mechanical equilibrium occurs when the forces acting on a system are balanced, and chemical equilibrium occurs when a reversible reaction reaches a steady state.

5. How does thermodynamic equilibrium relate to entropy?

Thermodynamic equilibrium is closely related to entropy, which is a measure of a system's disorder. In thermodynamic equilibrium, entropy is at its maximum and there is no potential for change within the system. Any changes to the system will lead to an increase in entropy and a move away from equilibrium.