1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to abstract math—basic notation

1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Simplify the following statement as much as you can:

(b).
    ##(3<4) \wedge (3<6)##

2. Relevant equations
    ##\wedge= and##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured that I could just write this as ##3<4<6##,
    but then I considered what if I didn't know that ##4<6##
    If it was just ##(3<x)\wedge (3<y)##, then I would have to consider that I don't know either x or y.
    Is it okay to say that ##3<4<6## though I just assume that ##4<6##?
    Or is statement already simplified enough.
    Is ##3<4, 6## a way to get around this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If 3 < 4, then 3 is automatically smaller than 6, so that latter statement is redundant.
    You know how to count to 10, right? Then you know that 4 < 6.
    No, 3 < 4, 6 is not any sort of standard notation.

4. Jan 13, 2016 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would not say "3< 4< 6" because "3 is less than 4 and 3 is less than 6" does NOT, as you say, say that "4< 6". I think the most "simplified" form is just what I said before: "3 is less than 4 and 3 is less than 6" or perhaps "3 is less that either 4 or 6". If you take it as given that 4< 6 then "3< 4 and 3< 6" is equivalent to "3< 4" since then "3< 6" follows immediately.

5. Jan 14, 2016 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you allowed to replace a statement with a symbol that means "true"? The number 1 is often used for that purpose. (0 is used for "false").

If the problem had asked you to simplify ##\{x\in\mathbb R|(x<4)\land(x<6)\}##, I would have said ##\{x\in\mathbb R|x<4\}##. (Since 4<6, the statements "x<4" and "x<4 and x<6") are equivalent for all real numbers x). But here I don't think it makes sense to use that 4<6.

The problem is kind of weird. It might help if you tell us where you found it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted