1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to Analysis (Cauchy)

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the following assertion: Suppose {xn} and {yn} are Cauchy sequences of real number. If {xn} is a cauchy sequence and for every η>0 there exists a pos. int. N such that for every n>N so that abs(xn-yn)<η then {yn} is a Cauchy sequence.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    We will prove that {yn} is a cauchy sequence by showing that for every ε>0 there exists a pos. int. N so that both n and m >N so that abs(yn-ym)<ε.

Consider ε>0 arbitrary.
    Since {xn} is a cauchy sequence and by hypothesis for every η>0 there exists an N so that every n>N abs(xn-yn)<η. Choose such an N.
    Consider n,m>N arbitrary.

Then I know I need to get from abs(yn-ym) to ε but unsure how to use what I have to get there correctly and if I have the rest of the proof right.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2
    Use the Cauchy sequence {xn} as your bridge, think about triangle inequality, also note that η may be set according to ε

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook