1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to analysis?

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    a gentle intro to real analysis? any suggestions anyone? something very readable?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    Calculus by Michael Spivak is a very readable introduction to real analysis-- that is, analysis on R.
    If you want something which starts with R and moves onto the more general metric space, Hilbert and Banach space setting though, a very readable (Dover) book is Foundations of Mathematical Analysis by Richard Johnsonbaugh and W.E. Pfaffenberger.
    You might also appreciate a book on topology if you're looking for something of the latter category-- I'm currently reading through Introduction to Topology by Theodore W. Gamelin and Robert Everist Greene.
    Both books were recommended to me in this thread, so you might want to take a look there as well.
  4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    Pughs Real Mathematical Analysis is IMO the best introductory analysis book for learning the subject.
  5. Sep 25, 2007 #4
    for anyone else i was recommended understanding analysis by stephen abbott
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?