What is a recommended book for an introduction to Cosmology and Astronomy?

• Thread starter Oscar Wilde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intro
In summary, If you are looking for an introductory book on Cosmology, Astronomy, and Astrophysics that is not overly technical and covers a range of topics, I would recommend "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie. Another option would be "An Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Andrew Liddle, which provides a good overview of cosmology without relying heavily on advanced mathematics. Both books are suitable for undergraduate students and offer a solid understanding of space-time, general relativity, and light.
Oscar Wilde
I'm looking for a book that can introduce me to the essentials in regards to Cosmology, Astronomy, and perhaps even Astrophysics. I don't necessarily want a book that is "cutting edge" or junk science. I am looking for an introduction to an understanding of space-time, general relativity, and light (its properties, how gravity affects it).

Please respond with any ideas of books that would be helpful

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want something at the undergraduate level then I would certainly recommend Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Carroll and Ostlie, which covers in fairly good detail just about everything you could want to know in cosmology, astrophysics and astronomy.

I just bought that book because of this thread, thanks nicksauce seems very good!

For a reasonable introduction to Cosmology check out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470848359/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Provides a nice overview of some of the basics in cosmology without resorting to General Relativity. (A few results derived from G.R. are presented such as the Robertson-Walker metric.)

Liddle mentions in the preface that it's aimed at final year Bachelors students (3rd Year) but with an emphasis on physical tuition and not mathematical rigour which for me makes the book much more accessible (although I think I'd love to have more mathematical rigour!)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between astronomy and cosmology?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies, and their interactions. Cosmology is the study of the origins, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole.

2. How does the Big Bang theory explain the formation of the universe?

The Big Bang theory states that approximately 13.8 billion years ago, the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. This expansion led to the formation of matter, energy, and eventually galaxies and stars.

3. What is dark matter and why is it important in cosmology?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or interact with light, making it invisible to telescopes. It makes up about 27% of the universe and is important in cosmology because it helps explain the structure and behavior of galaxies and the expansion of the universe.

4. How do scientists measure the distances between celestial objects?

Scientists use various methods to measure distances between celestial objects, including parallax, which involves measuring the shift in the apparent position of an object due to the Earth's orbit around the sun, and redshift, which measures the change in the wavelength of light from distant objects due to the expansion of the universe.

5. What is the significance of studying the history of the universe?

Studying the history of the universe allows scientists to understand how the universe evolved and how it will continue to evolve in the future. It also helps us understand our place in the universe and the origins of the elements and structures that make up our world.