1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to Computer Engineering

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    I'm taking this class and so far we have learned very basic stuff. The chapters that we learned so far are:
    1 binary systems
    2 boolean algebra
    3 gate level minimization
    4 combinational logic
    5 synchronous sequential logic

we have to write a 5 page paper on "applications of what we learned in class". The only thing that I thought of was how using Microsoft word or other apps you can press ctrl+f to find a word and it uses the same idea as our flip flops in class when we learned simple cases of series detectors. This idea certainly fits the project, but I can't see myself writing 5 pages on that. Does anyone have a better idea for my project? I really have no idea what to even research. Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2009 #2
    If you post a copy of your assignment, I can guess better, but I think you're supposed to think broader to actual real world devices that use those concepts. (which makes them applications of those concepts.) Look up counters, adders, calculators, integrated circuits, and the like.

Do 5 pages on different examples of this, including ctrl+f.

4. Dec 15, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the good ideas. And I can't give any more info for the assignment because he didn't give any more info.

5. Dec 15, 2009 #4
    I decided to write 5 pages on series detectors. Since, I don't know anything about software or computer technology really, I can only think of 3 applications of series detectors: 1) the ctrl-f function web browsers and other applications, 2) password detectors (I don't know if that's what they are called) and 3) search engines.

Can anyone suggest any other applications of series detectors? Thanks.

Also, if you know any good reference sites that may help me, I would appreciate a link very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook