What are the recommended preparation steps for an Intro to EE course?

In summary, the best way to prepare for the electric circuits class is to review the concepts of electric potential, capacitors, resistors, and inductors from electromagnetism. Another suggestion is to buy the textbook early, and start self-studying.
sunilkamadolli
Hello everyone, I am a CS major who will be taking an Introductry course in EE specifically designed for non-EE majors. It covers analysis and design of passive and active circuits. I know that the prerequisite to the class is calculus and engineering physics (electromagnetism). I took the electromagnetism course a while ago and forgot a lot of concepts.

Which is the best way to prepare myself for the course ? Should I review all the topics of electromagnetism like Electric potential, Guassian surface, capacitance, magnetism, inductance etc ? Or can I jump directly to electric circuits ?

Thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd just buy the textbook early, and start self-studying. It will probably come fairly easy for you, and anything that doesn't make sense, just look those concepts up in reference texts or your old textbooks. No reason to do a big general review beforehand, IMO. Just start with the class' textbook and get a head start.

Honestly, from the description you've provided, it doesn't sound like you'll be doing much on the physics end of the EE spectrum. In my experience (which is limited), circuit classes typically cover abstractions more than anything else. That is, if you know the relation between voltage across and current in a resistor, a capacitor, and an inductor, you'll probably be fine.

berkeman and Manchot, Thank you for your help.

Anymore suggestions from other people would help ?

Nilsson and Riedel's "Electric Circuits" --- see if you can borrow it or get the older 6th edition. (7th ed is the newest one but its really the same thing!)

BTW I don't think you should have to self study--- enjoy your break! (What little you have left!)

Yeah it'll be helpful if you recall your knowledge about capacitors, resistors and inductors... but due to the fact that this is basic ckt theory, you treat all effects as instantaneous--- you won't need to know about Gauss Law, wave propagation or maxwell's equations... or anything like that. (And theyll review that stuff if you ever HAVE to come across it).

Thanks a lot everyone for all your suggestions. It will save a lot of time. Thanks again !

1. What are the prerequisites for an introductory course in electrical engineering?

The prerequisites for an introductory course in electrical engineering typically include a strong foundation in mathematics, such as calculus and linear algebra, as well as a basic understanding of physics and circuits. Some programs may also require prior coursework in computer science or programming.

2. Can I take an introductory course in electrical engineering without any prior experience?

While some introductory courses may not have strict prerequisites, it is highly recommended to have a background in mathematics, physics, and/or computer science before taking on a course in electrical engineering. This will help you better understand the concepts and be successful in the course.

3. Do I need to have knowledge of specific software or programming languages for an introductory course in electrical engineering?

The specific software or programming languages required may vary depending on the course or program. However, having a basic understanding of programming languages such as C or MATLAB can be beneficial for an introductory course in electrical engineering.

4. Are there any recommended resources or materials to prepare for an introductory course in electrical engineering?

Some universities or programs may provide a list of recommended resources or materials to prepare for an introductory course in electrical engineering. These may include textbooks, online tutorials, or practice problems. It is also helpful to review fundamental concepts in mathematics and physics before starting the course.

5. What are the main topics covered in an introductory course in electrical engineering?

The main topics covered in an introductory course in electrical engineering typically include circuit analysis, electronics, digital systems, and signals and systems. Students will also learn about different components and devices used in electrical engineering and their application in various systems.