Intro to Elec node analysis help

In summary, the voltages for (1) are 5V and for (2) the equation is not clear. The equation for (3) is the KCL at node 3.
AJME
Hi Guys,

I am new to Electrical Engineering and am trying to figure out the voltages for (1) (2) (3) in the link below, assuming that a 5V dc power supply is connected to the terminals on the left. I am new to Elec Engineering and am struggling a bit. I thought to try Node Voltage analysis to get the answers. Obviously (1) =5V

However for (2), I am not sure how to figure out the equations.

Link is

http://photobucket.com/albums/a339/Eliatamby/?action=view&current=SV400003.jpg

I was thinking the KCL equation at node (2) would be:

(v1-v2)/100 = v2/3900 + (v2-v3)/220

Also, I have a general question. For the current entering node (2) can't I get uses Ohm's Law at the 100Ohm resistor? E.g. 5/100 so the current entering v2 would be 0.05 A. Then I could sub this into the (v1-v2)/100 equation to find out the value of v2? Would that work?

Thanks for your help, please let me know if this is not clear

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok I came up with two equations. The first being the KCL at node 2 (slightly modified from above)

(v2-v1)/100 = v2/3900 + (v2-v3)/220

The second is the KCL at node 3 :

(v3-v2)/220 = v3/1000 +v3/1200

I simplified the first equation to 223v2 = -195v3 + 2145

I simplified the second equation to v3=300v2/179

When I sub equation 2 into equation 1, I get 3.9 for v2 which seems about right. When I sub that value into equation 2 for v3, I get around 6, which doesn't seem right at all.

I tested the circuit in my lab a last week and got v2=4.3 and v2=3 (approx). Are there things wrong with my equations? Am I not using KCL (or node analysis) correctly?

Thanks for any help, I am really stuck

I actually think I have got it!

I realized after going through my textbook that I am not denoting the voltage across the resistors consistantly.

I chose the equations:

(v1-v2)/100 = (v2-v3)/220 + v2/3900 (1)

(v2-v3)/220= v3/1000 + v3/1200 (2)

In retrospect this is a such a simple thing, but something I just overlooked because I never thought properly about it. But solving these two equations gave me figure which were with 0.2 V of what I measured myself.

No subject makes me feel so slow as Elec1011... :frown:

Last edited:
using nodal analysis, i arrived with 2 equations:

-(V2-V1)/100 - (V2-V3)/220 - V2/3900 = 0 <equation1>

-(V3-V2)/220 - V3/1000 - V3/1200 = 0 <equation2>

also:

V1 = 5 <equation3>

since the 3 equations are reducible to 2 unknowns, therefore

-(V2-5)/100 - (V2-V3)/220 - V2/3900 = 0 <equation4>

-(V3-V2)/220 - V3/1000 - V3/1200 = 0 <equation5>

then i manipulated equations 4 and 5 and arrived with equations 6 and 7

-12700V2 + 3900V3 = -42,900 <equation6>

60/11 V2 - 421/55 V3 = 0 <equation7>

solving equations 6 and 7 sumultaneously and using my casio fx-991ES calculator, i arrived with

V2 = 4.324203318 V

and

V3= 3.081380037 V

since the values i got were close enough to the measured value you obtained in your lab, i therefore conclude that my answer is certified true and correct<i guess!Ü>

we just had our exam for the nodal and mesh analysis about 2 to 3 weeks ago that's why the topic is still fresh from my memory

by the way, do you have examples about norton and thevenin's theorem?

if you do, kindly post some<like this problem u posted> because i only have some examples...thanks!

1. What is electrical node analysis?

Electrical node analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current values at different points in a circuit. It involves creating a network of interconnected nodes and using Kirchoff's current and voltage laws to solve for the unknown values.

2. Why is electrical node analysis important?

Electrical node analysis is important because it allows us to analyze complex circuits and determine the behavior of different components within the circuit. It also helps in designing and troubleshooting circuits by predicting the effects of changes in the circuit.

3. What are the basic steps involved in electrical node analysis?

The basic steps involved in electrical node analysis are:

• Identifying the nodes in the circuit
  • Applying Kirchoff's current law to each node to create equations
  • Solving the equations simultaneously to find the unknown values

4. What are some common challenges in electrical node analysis?

Some common challenges in electrical node analysis include:

• Identifying the nodes correctly
  • Dealing with complex circuits with multiple nodes
  • Applying Kirchoff's current law correctly
  • Solving equations with a large number of unknowns

5. Are there any limitations to electrical node analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to electrical node analysis. It is not suitable for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes and transistors. It also assumes ideal conditions and may not accurately predict the behavior of real circuits with non-ideal components. Additionally, it requires a good understanding of Kirchoff's laws and may be challenging for beginners.