Intro to Engineering: Should I Take It?

In summary, the person is an undergrad in community college majoring in ChemE. They are considering taking an Intro to Engineering class but are unsure if it will benefit them and they will not receive credit for it when transferring. They are also limited on time due to working full-time. Some universities require an intro to engineering class, while others do not. It is important to research the course description or ask the professor for more information and also check if the target institution has a list of equivalencies.
LuisN
I'm an undergrad currently studying in a community college and I'm majoring in ChemE. I'm stuck on whether to take an Intro to Engineering class that my school offers. Has anyone ever taken a class similar to this and can you say that you've benefitted from it? Unfortunately, I won't receive any credit for this course when I transfer (hopefully to GATech). My time is also limited; I go to school part-time, I'm one of those "work full-time" students. I would like to complete my transfer requirements as fast as possible with no negative impact to my education. What do you guys think? Should I skip the Intro class for another school requirement?

Physics news on Phys.org
universities make you take that one over again, so I'd skip it.

Every "intro to engineering" class is different. Your best bet is take a look at the course description or ask the professor teaching it about it. Then come back to us if you have more questions.

For example, some might be just an overview of the different engineering disciplines, while others might be the basics of EE and MechE (super-condensed mechanics and circuits).

Some do, some don't. I attend a Community College, and UMass accepts Intro to Engineering from my CC so long as you aren't planning on doing EE - in which case UMass requires you to take their specific Intro to Electrical Engineering.

If you're transferring to somewhere nearby and know the school: see if they have a list of equivalences. Now. It will save you soooo much trouble. If there isn't one, at least start meeting with advisors at the target institution on the topic.

1. What is "Intro to Engineering"?

"Intro to Engineering" is a course that provides an overview of the field of engineering and its various disciplines. It covers fundamental concepts, problem-solving techniques, and introduces students to different engineering design processes.

2. Who should take "Intro to Engineering"?

This course is suitable for anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in engineering or wants to gain a basic understanding of the field. It is also beneficial for students who are considering majoring in engineering in college.

3. What are the benefits of taking "Intro to Engineering"?

"Intro to Engineering" provides a strong foundation for students who are interested in pursuing a career in engineering. It helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, introduces them to different engineering disciplines, and allows them to explore their interests within the field.

4. Is "Intro to Engineering" a difficult course?

The difficulty of this course can vary depending on the individual and their previous exposure to engineering concepts. However, it is designed to be an introductory course, so it should not be overly challenging for students who are motivated and willing to put in the effort to learn.

5. Will taking "Intro to Engineering" count towards my major requirements?

This depends on the specific requirements of your major. Some engineering programs may count "Intro to Engineering" as a prerequisite or an elective course, while others may not. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine if this course will count towards your major requirements.