Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro. to Integrals

1. May 24, 2009 #1
    I`m reading on Integrals, and at the introductions author mentions three basic concepts, The Rectangle Property, The Addition Property, and The Comparison Property.

I understand what the 1st and 3rd properties mean, and I have a question concerning the 2nd.

"The Adittion Property: The area of a region composed of several smaller regions that overlap in at most a line segment is the sum of areas of the smaller regions."

I don`t understand what that part in red means??
    I don`t understand what "overlap" means, nor do I understand what "in at most a line segment" means?

Thanx in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm sure you could look up "overlap" in a dictionary! The two rectangles with boundaries [itex]0\le x\le 6[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex] and [itex]5\le x\le 7[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex] "overlap" on the rectangle bounded by x= 5, x= 6, y= 0 and y= 1- that region is in both rectangles.

The two rectangles [itex]0\le x\le 6[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex] and [itex]6\le x\le 7[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex] "overlap" only on the line x= 6- they have only that line segment in common.

Finally, the two rectangles [itex]0\le x\le 6[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex], and [itex]7\le x\le 8[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex] do not overlap at all- they have no points in common.

4. May 24, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi wajed! :smile:

(btw, it looks better if you type ' rather than ` in "don't" etc … the ` takes up too much room! :wink:)
    And a line segment is just part of a line …

"segment" from a Latin word meaning to cut …

so [0,1] is a segment of the real line.

In other words, "in at most a line segment" means (in this context) zero area. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook