Exploring the History of Physics: From the 19th Century to Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter Bill McKay
  • Start date
In summary, the history of physics from the 19th century to quantum mechanics is a complex and fascinating journey that has revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It began with the development of classical mechanics by scientists such as Isaac Newton and evolved into the study of electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and relativity. The 20th century saw the emergence of quantum mechanics, which challenged traditional notions of space, time, and causality. This led to groundbreaking discoveries such as the uncertainty principle and quantum entanglement, paving the way for modern technologies like transistors and lasers. Today, physicists continue to push the boundaries of our knowledge, seeking a unified theory that can explain the fundamental workings of the universe.
Bill McKay
Hello: I'm Bill McKay and a retired biologist. I've had a lot of science of course but not much physics (or math). I'm now studying the history of physics from the beginning of the 19 century so I can slowly go through it and up to quantum physics of today. Being weak in math, I'm reviewing math and calculus as I do this. I may want to start some science clubs in my area so I want to do this for both personal and community benefit. So you folks should be able to help me. My first post was in fact was just made on the math of how Maxwell calculated the speed of the "waves" he had discovered associated with electromagnetism -- and of course was astounded to see that speed as the speed of light. Take a look at my post on that-- and see if I explained my problem properly. thanks. Hope you can all help me with physics and math.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Bill. :smile: