Pressure Calculation for a Container with Water and Olive Oil

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the pressure at the bottom of a container with water and olive oil. The answer should be expressed in two significant figures and is the sum of atmospheric pressure, pressure due to the olive oil, and pressure due to the water. The correct answer is 104137 Pa and atmospheric pressure should not be included in the calculation.
yoshiko
I have solved this problem but am not sure where I'm going wrong here...

Suppose you pour water into a container until it reaches a depth of 20cm . Next, you carefully pour in a 9.7cm thickness of olive oil so that it floats on top of the water.

What's the pressure at the bottom of the container? Express anser using two significant figures.

P-P_atm= ? Pa

P_1= P_atm + (rho)(g)(h)
= 1.013 x 10^5 Pa + (920kg/m^3)(9.81m/s^2)(0.097m)
= 102175.44 Pa

P=P_1 + (P_water)(g)(h)
= 1.013 x 10^5 Pa + (1000kg/m^3)(9.81m/s^2)(0.20cm)
= 104137 Pa

I keep getting this answer wrong.. I do not know what I am doing wrong. Please help!
I've tried already 1.04x10^5
1.0x10^5
and the above exact number.

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure at the bottom is the sum of:
- atomospheric pressure
- pressure due to .097 m of olive oil
- pressure due to .20 m of water

Thanks! I have discovered what I did wrong...I was not supposed to include atmospheric pressure in the first place. Thank you, Doc Al.

1. What is the definition of a fluid in physics?

A fluid in physics is defined as a substance that can flow and take on the shape of its container. It can also be described as a substance that has no definite shape or volume.

2. What are the properties of a fluid?

The properties of a fluid include its density, viscosity, pressure, and buoyancy. Density refers to how tightly packed the particles in a fluid are. Viscosity is the measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. Pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a fluid. Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object placed in it.

3. How does Bernoulli's principle apply to fluids?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This principle is often used to explain the lift force on an airplane wing, as the faster-moving air above the wing exerts less pressure than the slower-moving air below the wing.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth, orderly flow of a fluid, where the layers of the fluid move parallel to each other. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is a chaotic and irregular flow of a fluid, with swirling and mixing of the fluid particles.

5. How does the continuity equation relate to fluid dynamics?

The continuity equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that states that the volume of fluid flowing into a system must equal the volume of fluid flowing out. This equation is used to study the behavior of fluids in pipes, tubes, and other systems.