1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to Probability Problem

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The probability for a boy to be born is 51.3%.
    The probability for a girl to be born is 48.7%.
    The probabilities are independent of the sex of any children previously born to a family.
    A couple has four children.
    (a) What is the probability that all four children are girls?
    (b) What is the probability that 3 children are boys and 1 child is a girl?

2. Relevant equations

The product rule for probability (?)

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) I am thinking that if it were equally likely that a boy or a girl was to be born, then the probability that all four children being girls would be 1/16 = 0.0625 = 6.25%.

However, with the probability of a single girl being born being 48.7%, I am wondering if I could use the product rule to say that the probability that all four children are girls is: 48.7% x 48.7% x 48.7% x 48.7% = 0.0562 = 5.62%. Is this correct?

(b) I am thinking that if it were equally likely that a boy or a girl was to be born, then the probability that all three children being boys and 1 child being a girl would be 4/16 = 1/4 = 0.25 = 25%.

However, with the probability of a single girl being born being 48.7%, I haven't the slightest clue how to proceed with this problem ... Could someone please grant me some assistance?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I would do that same thing for the first part but for the 2nd problem I think it would be
    P(BBBG)=51.3%x51.3%x51.3%x48.7% x 4!/3!

Note: multiply by 4!/3! because of the order in which the children can be born in

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    Thanks! I think that does it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?