1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to Real Analysis

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If [tex] a < b-\epsilon[/tex] for all [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex], then [tex]a<0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

All I really have are the field axioms of the real numbers and the order axioms (trichotomoy, transitive, additive property, multiplication property).

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I broke this proof into three cases: [tex]b<0, b=0, b>0[/tex]. When [tex]b<=0[/tex], I'm fine.

But I'm stuck when [tex] b>0[/tex]. I know that [tex]-\epsilon < 0 \implies b-\epsilon < b \implies a<b[/tex]

To me it seems like this is saying that no matter what number you have, there is always a negative number that is smaller. Can anyone see a better way to do this without cases? Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2
    What happens when b < epsilon?

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3

gb7nash

Homework Helper

If b > 0, set ϵ = b (since the inequality holds for all ϵ > 0). Looking at:

a < b−ϵ and plugging b in...

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can't imagine why you would think that b positive or negative makes any difference. For all [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] [itex]b-\epsilon< b[/itex]. If it also true that [itex]a< b- \epsilon[/b], it follows immediately that [itex]a< b[/itex].

For a moment, I thought this was "[itex]a< b+ \epsilon[/itex] for all [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex]". For that, it is NOT true that a< b but it is true that [itex]a\le b[/itex]

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5
    Thanks for all the help! Wow that's easy now...*duh*

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook