Proving a < b for All Positive Epsilon in Real Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving the field and order axioms of real numbers. It is shown that if a < b - ϵ for all ϵ > 0, then a < b, regardless of whether b is positive or negative. The conversation also considers the case of a < b + ϵ for all ϵ > 0, and clarifies that while it is not necessarily true that a < b, it is true that a ≤ b.
doubleaxel195

Homework Statement

If [tex] a < b-\epsilon[/tex] for all [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex], then [tex]a<0[/tex]

Homework Equations

All I really have are the field axioms of the real numbers and the order axioms (trichotomoy, transitive, additive property, multiplication property).

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I broke this proof into three cases: [tex]b<0, b=0, b>0[/tex]. When [tex]b<=0[/tex], I'm fine.

But I'm stuck when [tex] b>0[/tex]. I know that [tex]-\epsilon < 0 \implies b-\epsilon < b \implies a<b[/tex]

To me it seems like this is saying that no matter what number you have, there is always a negative number that is smaller. Can anyone see a better way to do this without cases? Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when b < epsilon?

doubleaxel195 said:
But I'm stuck when [tex] b>0[/tex]

If b > 0, set ϵ = b (since the inequality holds for all ϵ > 0). Looking at:

a < b−ϵ and plugging b in...

I can't imagine why you would think that b positive or negative makes any difference. For all [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] [itex]b-\epsilon< b[/itex]. If it also true that [itex]a< b- \epsilon[/b], it follows immediately that [itex]a< b[/itex].

For a moment, I thought this was "[itex]a< b+ \epsilon[/itex] for all [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex]". For that, it is NOT true that a< b but it is true that [itex]a\le b[/itex]

Thanks for all the help! Wow that's easy now...*duh*

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the rigorous study of limits, continuity, derivatives, and integrals, among other topics.

2. Why is real analysis important?

Real analysis is important because it provides the theoretical foundation for calculus and many other areas of mathematics. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying real analysis?

The main prerequisites for studying real analysis are a solid understanding of calculus, including limits, derivatives, and integrals, as well as familiarity with basic mathematical concepts such as sets, functions, and sequences.

4. What are some common techniques used in real analysis?

Some common techniques used in real analysis include the use of mathematical proofs, the definition of limits and continuity, the concept of convergence, and the use of mathematical notation and symbols.

5. How can real analysis be applied in the real world?

Real analysis has many practical applications, such as in the fields of physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model and analyze real-world systems, to optimize functions, and to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.