1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to Semiconductors Help

1. Nov 27, 2017 #1
    Does anyone know of a good resource for semiconductor physics? I can't find much for it and the textbook isn't much help. Here is a formula sheet and the textbook is an introduction to semiconductor devices by Donald Neamen. I've read the first 150 pages of the textbook and reviewed notes from my prof but physics is just way too complicated. Most symbols have different meanings (some of the equations have "e" as in natural log, others have "e" as in charge of an electron) and I'm not sure what most of the equations are used for. There are many terms I don't understand and cannot find anything about, what is the Fermi-level, band-gap, valence band or the conduction band. If anyone has a good resource to help with this I'd really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

These are some new concepts. How did you do in the courses which were prerequisites for this one? Distinguishing between different meanings of e is in context used.

4. Nov 28, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your linked formula sheet lists a number of formulas without context, so it would appear to be useful as a reminder/memory aid, not a learning tool per se. Each formula will either be introduced in context in your current course, or should have been introduced in a prerequisite course.

You can discuss the concepts of semiconductor structure and properties at the atomic level in the physics technical forums; The forum, Atomic & Condensed Matter, in particular comes to mind for questions about the electronic properties of materials.

Since the topic of this thread is not a specific homework problem, I am moving it to Atomic & Condensed Matter to see how it fares there.

5. Nov 28, 2017 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What exactly is the prerequisite for this course that you are taking? Are you supposed to already know these concepts, or are you expected to learn these concepts in this class? Ask your professor!

If you google any of those words, you'll find tons of materials online. Even Hyperphysics has a nice, encyclopedia-type information for them. Have you looked?

These concepts have detailed, in-depth physics that one can learn from a solid state physics textbook and a solid-state physics class. Were you expected to have already taken such a class? Or are these solid-state concepts to be taught in this class that you are taking? Look at the syllabus or course outline. If not, again, ask your professor. Otherwise, learning the physics behind these concepts is a separate course in itself!

Zz.

6. Dec 17, 2017 at 11:28 AM #5
    This is a pretty comprehensive free textbook with an introduction to the physics assuming little background, as it is intended for electrical engineering students who usually have taken at most one quantum mechanics course (and that is still uncommon):
    http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/

7. Dec 17, 2017 at 12:19 PM #6

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks like worth a look. It needs QuickTime for the animations to run, which I realize I have never installed on my new computer.
    It looks pretty interesting, even without animations.

8. Dec 17, 2017 at 12:23 PM #7
    It's actually a pretty good book, aside from a few poorly written passages here and there, along with some typesetting problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted