Prove/Find Counterexample: Intro to Set Theory

In summary, when A is the empty set and B = C, A union C contains B union C, but A does not contain B because A is the empty set and B is not.
mbcsantin

Homework Statement

Prove or find counterexamples. For any sets A, B, C in a universe U:

if A union C contained B union C then A contained B

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

im just not sure if i did it right. id appreciate if you can check my work and let me know what changes i have to make. thanks

Let A be the empty set, and let B = C
Then A union C = B and
B union C = B so,
A union C contains B union C, but A does not contain B because A is the empty set and B is not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. Just one small note: You should state that B = C is not empty at the beginning.

e(ho0n3 said:
Looks right to me. Just one small note: You should state that B = C is not empty at the beginning.

alright. thank you so much!

e(ho0n3 said:

But what if I use the element proof for this..

Supposed that A is a subset of B.

Let x is an element of A u C.
therefore, x is an element of A and x is an element of C.
Since A is a subset of B by the definition of containment, x is an element of B.
Since x is an element of B and x is an element of C, we have x is an element of B u C. so any element of B u C is also in A u C. therefore, A u C is a subset of B u C.

Would this be right?

You are giving a counter example. You don't need a general proof, just any single counter example. You could just take A= {}, B= {1}, C= {1}.

mbcsantin said:
Let x is an element of A u C.
therefore, x is an element of A and x is an element of C.

No, that implies x is an element of A or x is an element of C.

Anyway, what you did here is irrelevant to your original question.

1. What is a counterexample in set theory?

A counterexample in set theory is a specific example that disproves a statement or theorem about sets. It is a set or element that does not fit the criteria or conditions of the statement, thereby proving it to be false.

2. How do you find a counterexample in set theory?

To find a counterexample in set theory, you must first identify the statement or theorem that you want to prove or disprove. Then, you can try different combinations of elements or sets that do not satisfy the conditions of the statement. If you find at least one example that does not fit the criteria, it is considered a counterexample.

3. What is the difference between a proof and a counterexample in set theory?

A proof in set theory is a logical argument that uses valid reasoning and mathematical principles to show that a statement or theorem is true. On the other hand, a counterexample is a specific example that disproves a statement or theorem by showing that it does not hold true for all cases.

4. Can a counterexample be used to prove a statement in set theory?

No, a counterexample cannot be used to prove a statement in set theory. It can only be used to disprove a statement by showing that it does not hold true for all cases. To prove a statement, a valid logical argument or mathematical proof is needed.

5. Why is it important to find counterexamples in set theory?

Finding counterexamples in set theory is important because it helps to identify the limitations of a statement or theorem. It also allows for a better understanding of the concepts and helps to refine them. Additionally, counterexamples can lead to the discovery of new theorems and can improve the overall understanding of set theory.