1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Topology: boundry Q

1. May 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that every nonempty proper subset of Rn has a nonempty boundry.

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all, I let S be an nonempty subset of Rn and S does not equal Rn.

I tried to go about this in 2 different ways:

1) let x be in S and show that B(r,x) ∩ S ≠ ø and B(r,x) ∩ Sc≠ ø. I figured this wouldn't work with just one x in S. Or perhaps, I thought I should use induction on the number of elements in S?
    2) Assume that bdS is empty and find a contradiction. However, I wasn't able to figure out a contradiction here. Unless, this implies that S equals Rn, then that's a contradiction. But I'm not quite sure it implies that. I think that this is the proof you use to show that Rn and the empty set are the only 2 that are both open and closed.

Thanks for your help! =)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the definition of boundry?

4. May 24, 2007 #3
    bd(S) = {x in Rn s.t. B(r,x)∩ S ≠ ø and B(r,x) ∩ Sc≠ ø for every r>0}

5. May 24, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take a point x in S and a point y in S^C and consider the line t*x+(1-t)*y for t in [0,1].

6. May 24, 2007 #5
    Well you could assume the contrary and first prove that S must be closed and similarly that S must be open. Now which are the only sets in a connected space with that property?

7. May 25, 2007 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Redyelloworange is aware of that, he mentions that he thinks the goal is to prove that the n-dimensional reals are connected under the usual topolgy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?