Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Intro Topology: boundry Q

1. May 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that every nonempty proper subset of Rn has a nonempty boundry.

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all, I let S be an nonempty subset of Rn and S does not equal Rn.

I tried to go about this in 2 different ways:

1) let x be in S and show that B(r,x) ∩ S ≠ ø and B(r,x) ∩ Sc≠ ø. I figured this wouldn't work with just one x in S. Or perhaps, I thought I should use induction on the number of elements in S?
    2) Assume that bdS is empty and find a contradiction. However, I wasn't able to figure out a contradiction here. Unless, this implies that S equals Rn, then that's a contradiction. But I'm not quite sure it implies that. I think that this is the proof you use to show that Rn and the empty set are the only 2 that are both open and closed.

Thanks for your help! =)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the definition of boundry?

4. May 24, 2007 #3
    bd(S) = {x in Rn s.t. B(r,x)∩ S ≠ ø and B(r,x) ∩ Sc≠ ø for every r>0}

5. May 24, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take a point x in S and a point y in S^C and consider the line t*x+(1-t)*y for t in [0,1].

6. May 24, 2007 #5
    Well you could assume the contrary and first prove that S must be closed and similarly that S must be open. Now which are the only sets in a connected space with that property?

7. May 25, 2007 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Redyelloworange is aware of that, he mentions that he thinks the goal is to prove that the n-dimensional reals are connected under the usual topolgy:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook