Intro uni physics

In summary, a traveling harmonic wave with a frequency of 10Hz and a speed of 200ms-1 has a phase difference at two positions which are 3m apart. The speaker has a BSc in physics but is a bit rusty and is seeking help for a friend of their daughter who is doing summer school to get into university. They are also asked to write down the equation for a traveling wave.
Craig

Homework Statement

A traveling harmonic wave has a frequency of 10Hz and a speed of 200ms-1.
Calculate the phase difference at a given instant at two positions which are 3m

Physics news on Phys.org
Craig said:

Homework Statement

A traveling harmonic wave has a frequency of 10Hz and a speed of 200ms-1.
Calculate the phase difference at a given instant at two positions which are 3m
Hello Craig. Welcome to PF !

Do you have a question here?

What have you tried?

Where are you stuck?

I have a BSc in physics However that was 15 year ago and now I have a friend of my daughter doing summer school to get into uni and I'm helping. I am a bit rusty and need help

Craig said:
I have a BSc in physics However that was 15 year ago and now I have a friend of my daughter doing summer school to get into uni and I'm helping. I am a bit rusty and need help

Can you write down the equation for a traveling wave?

apart.

I would first start by breaking down the given information and identifying the key variables. The homework statement mentions a traveling harmonic wave, which indicates that it is a type of wave that moves with a regular pattern. The frequency of this wave is given as 10Hz, which tells us that it completes 10 cycles in one second. The speed of the wave is given as 200ms-1, which tells us how fast the wave is traveling.

Next, I would use the formula for calculating phase difference, which is given as Δφ = 2πΔx/λ, where Δφ is the phase difference, Δx is the distance between the two positions, and λ is the wavelength. In this case, we are given the distance between the two positions as 3m.

To calculate the wavelength, we can use the formula λ = v/f, where v is the speed of the wave and f is the frequency. Plugging in the values, we get λ = 200ms-1 / 10Hz = 20m.

Now, we can plug in the values for Δx and λ in the formula for phase difference. Δφ = 2π(3m) / 20m = 0.3π radians. This tells us that at the given instant, the two positions have a phase difference of 0.3π radians.

I would also consider the significance of this phase difference in the context of the traveling harmonic wave. A phase difference of 0.3π radians indicates that the two positions are not in sync with each other and may experience a difference in the amplitude or intensity of the wave. This could be further explored in the context of interference and how it affects the behavior of the wave.

1. What is the purpose of studying introductory university physics?

Introductory university physics serves as the foundation for understanding the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the physical world. It also provides the necessary knowledge and skills for more advanced studies in various scientific and engineering fields.

2. What topics are typically covered in an introductory university physics course?

Introductory university physics courses typically cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. These topics are essential for understanding the basic principles of motion, energy, forces, electricity, and light.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or background in physics to take an introductory university physics course?

No, prior knowledge or background in physics is not necessary to take an introductory university physics course. However, a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly algebra and trigonometry, is highly recommended as these concepts are heavily used in physics.

4. What are some common challenges students face in introductory university physics?

Some common challenges students face in introductory university physics include understanding and applying theoretical concepts, solving complex problems, and visualizing abstract concepts. Time management and effective study techniques are also important for success in this course.

5. How can I succeed in an introductory university physics course?

To succeed in an introductory university physics course, it is important to attend lectures and actively participate in class discussions and activities. It is also crucial to read the textbook and practice solving problems regularly. Seek help from your professor or teaching assistants if you have any questions or difficulties. Additionally, make use of online resources and form study groups with classmates to reinforce your understanding of the concepts.