Introducing myself

  • #1
paradoxlost
25
4
Hey everyone I'm new here. I have a BS in Soil Science and a minor in Hydrology. I've worked in government and academia and am currently a part of a start up.

Just wondering, in everyone's opinion, is the moderating here heavy handed?
 
  • Like
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Welcome to PF!

paradoxlost said:
Hey everyone I'm new here. I have a BS in Soil Science and a minor in Hydrology. I've worked in government and academia and am currently a part of a start up.

Just wondering, in everyone's opinion, is the moderating here heavy handed?
No, not to those who adhere to the rules, to which one agrees in consideration of participation at PF.

We expect good judgement, objectivity and critical thinking on the part of participants.
 
  • Like
Likes russ_watters, dextercioby, pinball1970 and 1 other person
  • #3
Idk I'm having a moderator editing my posts for style. Seems a bit heavy handed. Like is there an MLA/APA style format we have to adhere too?
 
  • #4
paradoxlost said:
Idk I'm having a moderator editing my posts for style. Seems a bit heavy handed. Like is there an MLA/APA style format we have to adhere too?
The only two posts of yours that I edited or deleted violated the PF rules for Global Warming misinformation and Profanity in the technical forums. Please take care to re-read the PF rules that you agreed to (see INFO at the top of the page). Thank you.
 
  • Like
Likes Wrichik Basu
  • #5
And you changed the title title of my thread about a car moderation and you reformatted a post by adding "white space". Also I was a wildlands firefighter dude, I literally talked to firefighters who knew guys who committed arson in the slow seasons. I had a guy tell me when he first started he would climb trees and put rebar up there so the fire would be a "natural" start from lightening. One of the years I did it, like half our fires were arson.

"Your post in the thread Car Modification: Using your battery to prevent rust was edited. Reason: We added to your thread title to make it more descriptive. Please use very descriptive thread titles at PF. [Mentor berkeman] "

"Your post in the thread Should We Be Planting More Trees? was edited. Reason: Removed comment about arson at the end of your post. [Mentor berkeman] "

"Your post in the thread Should We Be Planting More Trees? was edited. Reason: Added whitespace to improve readability. [Mentor berkeman] "

Also you didn't delete the post for misinformation, since I didn't actually provide any information in the post. You deleted it because I didn't have any information in there, stating that topics must contain sources.

So essentially you just lied about over 50% of the edits you've done to me, and i've made 15 posts.
 
Last edited:
  • #6
"Trolling, trolling, trolling...Rawhide!"
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes russ_watters, mcastillo356, PeroK and 3 others
  • #7
paradoxlost said:
And you changed the title title of my thread about a car moderation and you reformatted a post by adding "white space"
Yes, those are routine every-day Moderation fix-ups to posts and titles. Titles should be very descriptive, and please avoid posting any wall-of-text posts. Those fix-ups did not result in any warnings or infractions of course; the notes I sent you after doing those edits were just to hopefully try to help you improve your titles and posts going forward.
 
  • Like
Likes Greg Bernhardt
  • #8
So I guess in addition to my original question, what format is to be followed? Is there a rubric? Very descriptive and wall of text i believe are relative terms, to a point.

Second question when you said you only edited two of my posts and left out the other 3, was that just because you considered editing only editing if it resulted in a warning or infraction?

Third, why did you remove the arson comment, when it didn't violate any rules nor was it relevant to the format?
 
  • #9
paradoxlost said:
Second question when you said you only edited two of my posts and left out the other 3, was that just because you considered editing only editing if it resulted in a warning or infraction?
Yes, the ones I mentioned were for rules violations, not constructive suggestions to try to help you improve your posts going forward.

paradoxlost said:
Third, why did you remove the arson comment, when it didn't violate any rules nor was it relevant to the format?
The arson comment at the end of that post seemed off-topic and a bit inflammatory to me. I work part-time as a medic, and work closely with several local fire departments, so a semi-random comment about arson disturbs me a bit. If your comment was informed and innocent, that's fine. I'd still prefer to leave that hidden in that post of yours please, for folks who read it in the future.
 
  • #10
paradoxlost said:
So I guess in addition to my original question, what format is to be followed? Is there a rubric? Very descriptive and wall of text i believe are relative terms, to a point.
The best advice I can offer is to approach it the way that you would approach your first few days if you were doing a semester abroad in a country whose language is new to you: watch how everyone around you is behaving.
PhysicsForums is different from most Internet forums in that it has a clear mission (there’s a statement in the info/rules) and we mean it. We moderate to support that mission and make PF a place where anyone can interact freely with real professional scientists.
 
  • Like
Likes russ_watters, dextercioby, docnet and 4 others
  • #11
Basically, don't swear, don't get political and adhere to the site guidelines (see link below) which are not to discuss fringe science and banned topics.

Sometimes, we edit for clarity of title when the title is too generic. Sometime, we fix typos or edit a sentence when it doesn't make sense.

We also remove personal identifying info when we find it.

So don't be offended by our edits. They are meant to keep the site clean, readable , politically neutral and focused on STEM topics.
 
  • Like
Likes pinball1970 and mcastillo356
  • #12
Nugatory said:
PhysicsForums is different from most Internet forums in that it has a clear mission
That's why I've joined. Glad to be here.
 
  • Like
Likes russ_watters, PeterDonis and BillTre
  • #13
berkeman said:
Yes, the ones I mentioned were for rules violations, not constructive suggestions to try to help you improve your posts going forward.


The arson comment at the end of that post seemed off-topic and a bit inflammatory to me. I work part-time as a medic, and work closely with several local fire departments, so a semi-random comment about arson disturbs me a bit. If your comment was informed and innocent, that's fine. I'd still prefer to leave that hidden in that post of yours please, for folks who read it in the future.

Ok, so you don't necessarily have the same definition for the word "edit" as the rest of English speakers, noted.

I don't know why you would find the fact that most fires are in fact arson inflammatory unless you think facts are inflammatory. For instance when https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Leonard_Orr was arrested, the incidence of fire went down over 90%.

You can still point to the fact that fires get bigger as an indication that human caused climate change creates conditions for these. But since it is MY post and not yours, I am going to reinsert it. If that is not allowed, than ok, update your rules to include the line "all posts can and will be edited at the discretion of the moderators for content" and "moderators are not held to the same rules as users". You are already using snide comments in an attempt to sideways insult me, for what reason, I do not know.
 
  • Skeptical
Likes BillTre
  • #14
jedishrfu said:
Basically, don't swear, don't get political and adhere to the site guidelines (see link below) which are not to discuss fringe science and banned topics.

Sometimes, we edit for clarity of title when the title is too generic. Sometime, we fix typos or edit a sentence when it doesn't make sense.

We also remove personal identifying info when we find it.

So don't be offended by our edits. They are meant to keep the site clean, readable , politically neutral and focused on STEM topics.

I've read the guidelines, no where does it say arson is a banned topic.
 
  • #15
paradoxlost said:
I've read the guidelines, no where does it say arson is a banned topic.
While not explicitly mentioned, arson would fall under "Dangerous and Illegal Activities".

Illegal & Dangerous Activities:
Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited; such as: how to make explosives, manufacture crack, steal software, hack into the CIA, ...

Whether or not a discussion of a subject such as 'arson' is considered appropriate depends on the context.
 
  • #16
paradoxlost said:
I've read the guidelines, no where does it say arson is a banned topic.
No, but they do say "Application and interpretation of these Guidelines are subject to the discretion of the Physics Forums Mentors (moderators)."
But since it is MY post and not yours, I am going to reinsert it
Now the rules do explicitly prohibit reposting deleted content....
 
  • Like
Likes russ_watters, PeterDonis and dextercioby
  • #17
Astronuc said:
While not explicitly mentioned, arson would fall under "Dangerous and Illegal Activities".



Whether or not a discussion of a subject such as 'arson' is considered appropriate depends on the context.

well considering nothing in my original post was "how" to do arson, if you're going to have a moderation policy to the point where we have to pretend like dangerous and illegal activities don't exist...

I'll see you guys later
 
  • #18
Nugatory said:
No, but they do say "Application and interpretation of these Guidelines are subject to the discretion of the Physics Forums Mentors (moderators)."

Now the rules do explicitly prohibit reposting deleted content....


so you're saying mods can just do whatever they want, sucks for us non moderators?
 
  • Skeptical
Likes BillTre
  • #19
I mean idk what there is to be skeptical about. The one guy said he only edited 2 of my posts, but then admitted it was 5. The other guy goes, yea as long as you don't swear you'll be fine, but oh yea we edit for content and readability as well. If you were me what would you think? You'd think that the moderators of this board either lack self awareness to the point where they don't even register their own actions or are wildly disingenuous.
 
  • Sad
Likes BillTre
  • #20
paradoxlost said:
You'd think that the moderators of this board either lack self awareness to the point where they don't even register their own actions or are wildly disingenuous.
Please give it a rest. You have 23 posts here so far (give or take), versus thousands for the folks you are complaining about. PF is a highly moderated discussion forum on purpose -- to keep the quality of the content and discussions high.
 
  • Like
Likes russ_watters, jedishrfu, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #21
berkeman said:
Please give it a rest. You have 23 posts here so far (give or take), versus thousands for the folks you are complaining about. PF is a highly moderated discussion forum on purpose -- to keep the quality of the content and discussions high.

Oh so you're not accepting new members? Because I have a low post count means you can just over moderate me until I fit into your definition of what is acceptable? Makes sense. That must be what you have like 20 active members at a time vs 1500 crawlers. I'm sure this type of moderation draws in a lot of people
 
  • Sad
Likes BillTre
  • #22
paradoxlost said:
Oh so you're not accepting new members? Because I have a low post count means you can just over moderate me until I fit into your definition of what is acceptable? Makes sense. That must be what you have like 20 active members at a time vs 1500 crawlers. I'm sure this type of moderation draws in a lot of people
Lordy.

Troll thread is closed. Have a nice day.
 
  • Like
Likes russ_watters, phinds, renormalize and 3 others

Similar threads

  • New Member Introductions
Replies
2
Views
211
  • New Member Introductions
Replies
4
Views
268
Replies
1
Views
174
  • General Discussion
Replies
20
Views
3K
  • General Discussion
Replies
20
Views
5K
  • General Discussion
Replies
4
Views
866
  • New Member Introductions
Replies
1
Views
552
Replies
1
Views
110
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
18
Views
2K
Back
Top