Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introducing probability into scientidic method.

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1
    A hypothesis is usually generated when an occurance suggests that the hypothesis could happen. Sometimes scientists are forced to stab in the dark in order to create hypothesis they can attempt to prove, but usually they attempt to prove something they have found after investigating an anomaly.

Using probability to judge whether something is a hypothesis or a theory would seem illogical to a scientist investigating newtonian physical properties as hypothesis can be judged to be almost certain or almost false due to the fact that results only vary due to the innacuracy of the equipment. However in quantum physics, where probabilty again plays a role in attempting to explain the different properties of fields and particles, using probability to judge the chances of a hypothesis being true or false in an experiment and creating a theory from the several observations and hypothesis generated, seems logical.

Does anyone know of any experiments that have been blunted due to the heisenburg uncertainty principle, which could benefit from the introduction of probabiltiy into scientific method?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted