1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction into Calculus

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1
    I'm a 10th grade student in the United States and currently taking geometry which is a breeze, and if anyone else reading this is in the U.S. you know that 10th graders haven't reached calculus yet, not even physics. Since i know i'm going into quantum physics, i have thirst to learn calculus before i actually enter the class in the next 2 years. I am not looking to master it by any means, but i really need a online program or a book that can introduce me to basic concepts of calculus. If anyone can give me some resources that aren't way to difficult i would appreciate it greatly!
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jan 5, 2017 #3
  5. Jan 5, 2017 #4
  6. Jan 5, 2017 #5
    Yessir. Coursera often offers certificates that you can pay for, but offers the course material for free.

The calculus courses came too late to be of use to me, but I've taken some stats courses and they've been terrific.

7. Jan 5, 2017 #6
    thanks a lot!

8. Jan 5, 2017 #7
    Even though it was first published 107 years ago, Sylvanus Thompson's 'Calculus Made Easy' remains one of the best introductions to the subject. And it's in the public domain, so no worries about downloading it from the web.

9. Jan 6, 2017 #8
    I've mentored several students who have done the Coursera Calculus One with Jim Fowler from Ohio State. It's a good course. Not as rigorous as an accredited College Calculus course, but it will get you started. Free.

10. Jan 6, 2017 #9
    I loved this book, although I did not realize at the time that it teaches a somewhat dated method for taking derivatives and such, and doesn't cover limits. I think it would be of practical use for someone that needs calculus to do some physics. Feynman allegedly learned from it.

I read it more as prose, because I love the way it is written.

-Dave K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted