Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction of a noob

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1
    Hello there,

I have been lurking for a few days, and finally decided to sign up, though it took me a while to find a username under 13 letters. Usually I'd go for my regular Caelumamittendum, which I use anywhere else, but alas that wasn't going to happen!

To cut things a bit short, I'm a 23 year old Dane, who's interest in physics, and more so astronomy and astrophysics, has only flourished in the past 2 years or so. In high school I was more into the language department of things, even though I always got my highest grades in math, physics and so on. I just never knew what I was supposed to use those classes for, so I never paid much interest.

I ended up going to university studying Linguistics, which is actually rather interesting, for a year. Then Danish for a year. And then went into some social/people orientated education. Half a year into that I realised I had no idea what I was doing, so I quit that and had a bit of a think.

In the end I cut it down to wanting something with astronomy. I just never took the right courses in high school, so I would need to take some extra classes now before I can begin studying physics at university. Those classes being what we refer to as Math B to A (It goes C, B, A), Physics C to B and A and Chemstry 0 to B. That may not have made much sense. But given my newfound interest in astronomy, I'm hoping I can find some motivation in that when getting back on the school bench.

I thought I would sign up here, even though I'm a noob in most aspects. I have had Math at B level, but that is some 6 years back, and I honestly don't remember much more than the very basics. So starting Math A 20th of August I thought I'd get my hands on my old math books, possibly an nSpire CAS CX (as that or TI89 are required. I know people are very fond of the 89, and so was I back in the day, but I think I'll go for the nSpire) and try and run through those in the next 2 months.

Without getting into too much detail, I guess I'd classify my interests as astronomy, astrophysics (though I'm often struggling to understand it at the moment) and...well, astrophilosophy. That's probably not a word, but pardon that.

That was hardly making a long story short. :biggrin:

Regards,
    Ben

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2
    Not my field and nothing I can help you with but WELCOME!

4. Jun 12, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Welcome to the forums!!!

Got any favorite fish??

5. Jun 12, 2012 #4
    Cheers!

Scientifically there is no such thing as a fish (according to QI anyway).

I've read the other introduction threads. You're not getting me! :biggrin:

6. Jun 12, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I will have to invoke PF Rule 43.5, then:

So, what it'll be?? Choose a fish or the blue whale??

7. Jun 12, 2012 #6
    Do your dirty fish work then! I'll go with a really slippery eel!

8. Jun 12, 2012 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Strangely enough, I was just about to ask MIH if we've ever used an electric eel. I don't recall one.
    Very well, then...
    SMACK—ZAPPPP!!!!

9. Jun 12, 2012 #8
    Cheers for the initiation!

10. Jun 12, 2012 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Troldet fra nord ønsker danske-flyndren velkommen til forumet! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook