What sparked my interest in astronomy and astrophysics?

• Thread starter Storm89
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker was inspired to pursue a career in astronomy and astrophysics due to their fascination with the vastness and complexity of the universe. This was sparked by witnessing a meteor shower as a child and attending a lecture by a renowned astrophysicist. They developed their knowledge and skills through obtaining a degree in astrophysics, participating in research projects and internships, and staying updated on developments in the field. The speaker finds the constant exploration and discovery of new phenomena in the universe to be the most interesting aspect of astronomy and astrophysics, and advises those interested in the field to never stop learning and to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics.
Storm89
Hello there,

I have been lurking for a few days, and finally decided to sign up, though it took me a while to find a username under 13 letters. Usually I'd go for my regular Caelumamittendum, which I use anywhere else, but alas that wasn't going to happen!

To cut things a bit short, I'm a 23 year old Dane, who's interest in physics, and more so astronomy and astrophysics, has only flourished in the past 2 years or so. In high school I was more into the language department of things, even though I always got my highest grades in math, physics and so on. I just never knew what I was supposed to use those classes for, so I never paid much interest.

I ended up going to university studying Linguistics, which is actually rather interesting, for a year. Then Danish for a year. And then went into some social/people orientated education. Half a year into that I realized I had no idea what I was doing, so I quit that and had a bit of a think.

In the end I cut it down to wanting something with astronomy. I just never took the right courses in high school, so I would need to take some extra classes now before I can begin studying physics at university. Those classes being what we refer to as Math B to A (It goes C, B, A), Physics C to B and A and Chemstry 0 to B. That may not have made much sense. But given my newfound interest in astronomy, I'm hoping I can find some motivation in that when getting back on the school bench.

I thought I would sign up here, even though I'm a noob in most aspects. I have had Math at B level, but that is some 6 years back, and I honestly don't remember much more than the very basics. So starting Math A 20th of August I thought I'd get my hands on my old math books, possibly an nSpire CAS CX (as that or TI89 are required. I know people are very fond of the 89, and so was I back in the day, but I think I'll go for the nSpire) and try and run through those in the next 2 months.

Without getting into too much detail, I guess I'd classify my interests as astronomy, astrophysics (though I'm often struggling to understand it at the moment) and...well, astrophilosophy. That's probably not a word, but pardon that.

That was hardly making a long story short. :biggrin:

Regards,
Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Not my field and nothing I can help you with but WELCOME!

Welcome to the forums!

Got any favorite fish??

micromass said:
Welcome to the forums!

Got any favorite fish??

Cheers!

Scientifically there is no such thing as a fish (according to QI anyway).

I've read the other introduction threads. You're not getting me! :biggrin:

Storm89 said:
Cheers!

Scientifically there is no such thing as a fish (according to QI anyway).

I've read the other introduction threads. You're not getting me! :biggrin:

I will have to invoke PF Rule 43.5, then:

PF RULE 43.5
New members who are unable or unwilling to choose a fish get to be slapped by a blue whale.

So, what it'll be?? Choose a fish or the blue whale??

micromass said:
I will have to invoke PF Rule 43.5, then:
So, what it'll be?? Choose a fish or the blue whale??

Do your dirty fish work then! I'll go with a really slippery eel!

Storm89 said:
I'll go with a really slippery eel!

Strangely enough, I was just about to ask MIH if we've ever used an electric eel. I don't recall one.
Very well, then...
SMACK—ZAPPPP!

Cheers for the initiation!

Troldet fra nord ønsker danske-flyndren velkommen til forumet! :smile:

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in astronomy and astrophysics?

I have always been fascinated by the vastness and complexity of the universe. As a child, I would spend hours gazing at the stars and reading books about space. This curiosity and wonder eventually led me to pursue a career in astronomy and astrophysics.

2. What specific events or experiences sparked your interest in this field?

One of the main events that sparked my interest in astronomy and astrophysics was witnessing a meteor shower as a child. It was a truly awe-inspiring experience that made me realize the beauty and mystery of the universe. Additionally, I had the opportunity to attend a lecture by a renowned astrophysicist, which further solidified my passion for the subject.

3. How did you develop your knowledge and skills in astronomy and astrophysics?

I pursued a degree in astrophysics, which provided me with a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and theories of the field. I also actively participated in research projects and internships, which allowed me to gain hands-on experience and apply my knowledge in a practical setting. Additionally, I constantly read and stay updated on the latest developments and discoveries in the field.

4. What do you find most interesting about astronomy and astrophysics?

What I find most interesting about astronomy and astrophysics is the constant exploration and discovery of new phenomena and objects in the universe. There is always something new to learn and understand, and the possibilities are endless. I am also fascinated by the interdisciplinary nature of the field, as it combines elements of physics, mathematics, and computer science.

5. What advice do you have for someone interested in pursuing a career in astronomy and astrophysics?

My advice would be to never stop learning and exploring. Keep up with the latest research and developments in the field, and don't be afraid to ask questions and seek guidance from experts in the field. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as these are essential for understanding the complex concepts in astronomy and astrophysics.