Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to Calculus and Analysis

1. Jan 20, 2005 #1
    Has any one used this set of books by Richard Courant and Fritz John? If so, I would like some advice about them.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

From what I know, Courant's book is close to the very top; in quality and rigour.
    This might make it a tough going, but if you persevere, you will be amply rewarded.
  4. Jan 20, 2005 #3
    Iuse Differential and Integral Calculus y Couranr. It' really good
  5. Jan 21, 2005 #4
    Yes, I've noticed, I had to read a few sections 2-3 times before I understood everything. But since you say its one of the best, im gonna continue with it, thanks.
  6. Jan 21, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

courant and john is a rewrite of courant, attempting to incorporate some more rigorous and precise methods of the mid 20th century. it is a wonderful book, but i prefer the original courant as more intuitive and less stuffy.

i have learned and taught from both and they are not all that different, but to me the rewrite loses the charm of the original.
  7. Jan 22, 2005 #6
    Youre making me have second thoughts again! So, what exactly is the difference? can you be more specific, or maybe point out some examples?
  8. Jan 22, 2005 #7
    courant and john focuses more on analysis. Like mathwonk said, it is slightly pressured by its time to combine two subjects. Whereas the original is a full exposition on the calculus.
  9. Jan 22, 2005 #8
    Huh? I thought mathematical analysis and calculus are the same thing..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?