Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to electricity

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,
    Basically I'm studying electricity at high school level and I need recommendation on a decent book that covers the basics on electricity as the official textbook misses a lot of detail and there's limited practice questions. I've been to several libraries but the books I've found, most of them at a University, are definitely at a higher level than what I need. The topics that I need to cover are the following:
    - Circuit rules
    - Resisstance (in series, in parallel..)
    - Emf and internal resisstance
    - More circuit calculations (circuits with cells in series, in parallel..)
    - The potential divider
    - Alternating currents
    - Using an oscilloscope and how to use it as a dc voltmeter
    I would also appreciate if those books come with a number of exercises to practice.
    Thanks a lot in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

RonL

Gold Member

I found this book and it became my go-to book most often.

https://www.amazon.com/Electricity-...7-2554432?ie=UTF8&refRID=0F2D0MKD46BHGGVH7V6C

If you need some practice projects on the cheap, Radio Shack has some pretty good ones by Nims.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Dec 16, 2014 #3
    1)Halliday resnick and krane (contains both mechanics and electricity but cover all the important theories)
    2)Halliday resnick and Jearl Walker(more basic)
    3)try khanacademy.org

5. Dec 17, 2014 #4
    Thanks a lot for the help! One quick question that I came across. If I have a circuit with a battery of 6v and 2 resistors connected in parallel (one is 10 ohms and the other one is 0 ohms) what would be the current across the circuit? I know that the equivalent resistance would be 0 so the current wouldn't lose any energy would it? I'm assuming that there is no resistance in the wire and no internal resistance.

6. Dec 17, 2014 #5
    Parallel combination formula
    1/R = 1/a + 1/b
    Where a and b are value of resistance provided a and b not equal to zero Since 1 divided by perfect zero is not defined.
    In your question, and in every circuits, current has a tendency to take a path having least resistance. If your circuit is ideal (that is the wires used to connect have zero resistance), then all current passes though the "zero resistor" and indirectly you just short circuited the battery.
    Since there is no potential drop and no loss in energy die to resistor, no energy is lost.[/B]

7. Dec 17, 2014 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you sure about that ? ... try hanging onto a wire shorting out a battery and see if you change your mind

Really ... DONT DO IT ... you will find masses of energy lost as heat and it will burn you easily !!

Dave

8. Dec 19, 2014 #7
    Okay, thanks for the answers :)!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook