Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to limits problem

1. May 16, 2008 #1
    in my calculus introduction book, it is written:

Let a rational function: [tex]f(x) = \frac{{p(x)}}{{q(x)}}[/tex] and a, a real number

If q(a) equals 0, but not p(a), then [tex]{\lim }\limits_{x \to a} f(x)[/tex] does not exist.

however, while doing exercises on the internet, i found that:
    [tex]{\lim }\limits_{x \to 1} \frac{{2 - x}}{{(x - 1)^2 }} = \infty[/tex]

is my textbook wrong?
    thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2008 #2
    Would you say that the other limit exist?
  4. May 16, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Saying that [itex]\lim_{\stack{x\rightarrow a}}f(x)= \infty[/itex] just means that the limit does not exist in a particular way.
  5. May 16, 2008 #4
    Let's convert what you have found on the net into the formula in your textbook. so q(x) = (x-1)^2 , p(x) = 2 - x and x--> 1. From here, we can say that q(1) = 0 and p(1) = 1. If you calculate p(1) / q(1), you get infinitity. It means that this limit does not exist.
  6. May 18, 2008 #5
    As x goes to 1, the denominator goes to zero (since, of course, (x-1)^2 = (1-1)^2 = 0. The smaller the denominator, the larger the output of the function. Since x makes the denominator shrink, we can rephrase the limit to be: "as denominator goes to zero, the output goes to a very large number."

Lets look at a different, more simple function for a moment: f(x) = 1/x. As x becomes very small, the output ("y") becomes very very large. So what happens when x goes to exactly zero? This is hard to get out head around, so instead of saying "what happens when x is zero," we shall make an 'inverse function.' Now we will take OUTPUTS, and recieve x INPUTS. That is, large numbers will yield small numbers (where the small number, when put under a one, yields the original large number.)

y= 1/x ; now use algebra to move the terms: x = 1/y.

Now when y becomes large, x becomes small -- this is the inverse of the original function, now we START with the large number, y, and receive the small number x in return. What value of y will make x become zero? As y becomes increasingly large, x becomes increasingly small.

We can now say:

\lim_{\stack{y\rightarrow a}}f(y)= 0

The question is, what value of a will make f(y) become zero? No matter HOW large we make y, x will still not be EXACTLY zero. It will become very close to zero, but it will not actually BE zero. Hence when x is actually 1 in your original example, we say that the output is "undefined." However, it is useful for practical purposes to say it is "infinity," since as x goes to 1, the output becomes increasingly large -- it's a way of saying the output becomes large without bound, even if the actual function is undefined at the value x is approaching (in this case, we get a divide by zero error.)

In this sense, as y goes to a large number, x goes to a small number. We say the limit is "zero" or "infinity" because zero and infinity signify the apex of each extreme. There is a very ambiguous nature behind limits and infinity, so beat yourself up if you can't get your head around it (I don't think many people do, if any.)

As a side note, there is a lot of inquiry as to the nature of infinity. You may be interested in reading about set theory and the extended complex plane -- they make some odd use of the notion of "infinity," though I'm unsure how to interpret it myself so I'll avoid going into detail here.
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?