1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to mining lab

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    1) Plot given coordinates on layout supplied and label them accordingly. The scale on the layout is 1” = 20 ‘.
    2) Using the given tope data, draw the level plan on the layout.

The station coordinates and topping data are available in the excel file enclosed.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello NR, :welcome:

You still have to adapt to the culture ehre at PF. Use the template and read the guidelines ...

(Also: not clear to me what you are asking, what you have done so far, where you are stuck in this exercise!)

4. Oct 2, 2016 #3
    Hello, I have seen the templates and would have love to provide what I have done so far however this is course that I started late and I am completely lost in it.
    I am at first stuck in the coordinates plotting. I don't understand why these coordinates are eastern and northern.

5. Oct 2, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In that case you'll have to catch up some way or other. Textbook, course notes from others, whatever (template explanation?).
    I have no idea what this is about or the meaning of this notation. What are the units ? Furlongs ?
    What does the 'given layout' look like ?
    Code (Text):

STATION COORDINATES

EASTING NORTHING
    STA 1001 2025 E 960 N
    STA 1002 2025 E 975 N
    STA 1003 2025 E 995 N
    STA 1004 2055 E 995 N
    STA 1005 2080 E 1010 N
    STA 1006 2120 E 1040 N
    STA 1007 2160 E 1070 N
    STA 1008 2190 E 1095 N

6. Oct 3, 2016 #5

Tom.G

Science Advisor

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=EASTING+NORTHING
    This was returned as the first search result from the above search:

The terms easting and northing are geographic Cartesian coordinates for a point. Easting refers to the eastward-measured distance (or the x-coordinate), while northing refers to the northward-measured distance (or the y-coordinate).

7. Oct 3, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First result for anyone (including me): Easting and northing is clear: gives you the directions; but we still need units. Rod ?

8. Oct 3, 2016 #7
    Yep. Luckily, I have the course this afternoon. I will ask the professor about the units. If possible drop in his office for more explanation. Il will then come with a draft. This assignment is for Thursday.
    Thank you guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted