Introduction to Physics: Books for Non-Calculus Learners

In summary, the best books for an introduction to physics without calculus would be "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by P. A. Tipler and G. Mosca, or "Elementary Physics" from a few decades ago. If you want to learn physics properly you will need calculus soon or later.
Neeleshatom
Can you recommend books for introduction physics without calculus.That is basic.

Physics news on Phys.org
My first book in physics was the "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by P. A. Tipler and G. Mosca, is really very very basic, but covers a very large range of physics without very much mathematical complications, of course, this is a very first introduction, and if you want to learn physics properly you will need calculus soon or later.

I cannot recommend any book claiming you can understand physics without calculus. Physics is simply not expressible without the adequate language, which is math (particularly geometry in a wide sense).

Likes Marc Rindermann and Adesh
Then recommend books from algebra trigonometry pre calculus to calculua

Actually, physics starts from Newtonian Mechanics and Newtonian Mechanics is just a very very mininal application of Calculus and vectors. As far as I know differential and integral Calculus is taught by using the concept of distance and speed only. So, it is very hard to avoid Calculus and learn the first course in Physics i.e. Mechanics. If you can give us more of your backhround then we can help you even more.

You can try some science books, there the concept of motion is developed. I think you should have a look at PSSC books, see if you can understand them.

Likes vanhees71
Neeleshatom said:
Can you recommend books for introduction physics without calculus.That is basic.

Typically, these introductory textbooks are titled 'College Physics', as opposed to calculus-based 'University Physics' titles.

• Informative
Likes vela and hutchphd
Something titled "Elementary Physics", from a few decades ago but I do not remember who was the author; the book was used in an Introductory or Elementary Physics course for college. Intermediate Algebra and some basic Trigonometry were needed.

Recommend books for
#pre algebra
#algebra
#trigonometry
#pre calculus
#calculus
#physics

Neeleshatom said:
Recommend books for
#pre algebra
#algebra
#trigonometry
#pre calculus
#calculus
#physics
What is pre-algebra?

Adesh said:
What is pre-algebra?
Probably arithmetic.

• Sad
Likes Adesh
archaic said:
Probably arithmetic.
Then I won't recommend going for physics too early. We should at least know the fundamental arithmetical operations !

Likes archaic
Adesh said:
Then I won't recommend going for physics too early. We should at least know the fundamental arithmetical operations !
Someone already recommended Khan Academy to the OP on another post. I guess he's more eager to read books, though.

• Wow
Likes Adesh
Adesh said:
What is pre-algebra?
Survey course, OR introductory material for Introductory/Elementary Algebra, and can often be the same as Introductory Algebra with some parts omitted or given reduced instruction emphasis. Pre-Algebra could often be skipped, because Introductory/Elementary Algebra is more complete, does the same as what "Pre-Algebra" will do, and is a better choice for most students. "Pre-Algebra" might be a good choice for a weaker student.

Yes, yes, yes, yes... Pre-Algebra can and should contain a condensed review of basic Arithmetic. The idea for designing such a course called "Pre-Algebra" is to teach a course which will prepare the student to study Algebra 1.

Likes Adesh
symbolipoint said:
Survey course, OR introductory material for Introductory/Elementary Algebra, and can often be the same as Introductory Algebra with some parts omitted or given reduced instruction emphasis. Pre-Algebra could often be skipped, because Introductory/Elementary Algebra is more complete, does the same as what "Pre-Algebra" will do, and is a better choice for most students. "Pre-Algebra" might be a good choice for a weaker student.
I think the notions of plus, minus, multiply, divide, fraction, LCM, HCF and the word problems regarding them are the only things that we need as an prerequisite for elementary algebra?

Just to be thorough with everything

Adesh said:
I think the notions of plus, minus, multiply, divide, fraction, LCM, HCF and the word problems regarding them are the only things that we need as an prerequisite for elementary algebra?
Sure. I am just telling what is the course, "Pre-Algebra". See my previous post, since I edited to add something to it. The course is offered in many schools. I believe it is really for weaker students, and for students who can use a brief review of basic Arithmetic, before heading into Algebra 1.

Neeleshatom said:
Can you recommend books for introduction physics without calculus.

It sounds like you also want one without algebra as well. That is unlikely.

Likes Adesh
Are openstax books any good?I have it from pre algebra to calculus.

And have finished pre algebra🤔 in it

Neeleshatom said:
Are openstax books any good?I have it from pre algebra to calculus.
And will finish pre algebra within the next three dayd

Neeleshatom said:
Thank you
You are welcome!

Neeleshatom said:
And will finish pre algebra within the next three dayd
As far as I have lived my life, I have found that completing something is very different from learning something which in its turn is totally different from using something.

Start with a good calculus-based introductory textbook like Tipler or Haliday and Resnick. As I said before I do not recommend to learn "calculus-free" physics. It's a contradiction in itself. Physics cannot even be formulated or talked about without a minimum of calculus. To begin with classical mechanics you only need derivatives and integrals for functions of one variable.

Likes Adesh
Then recommend good pre calculus and calculus bookz

vanhees71 said:
Start with a good calculus-based introductory textbook like Tipler or Haliday and Resnick.

For someone who doesn't even have algebra? Do you think he is likely to be successful?

Adesh said:
"There's a saying attributed to Eichler that there are five fundamental operations of arithmetic: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and modular forms." - A. Wiles

Vanadium 50 said:
For someone who doesn't even have algebra? Do you think he is likely to be successful?
I am always open to suggestions.You can also may help and recommend books on algebra

I know pre algebra. But it is just a refresher course

Vanadium 50 said:
Then he has to learn the necessary mathematics first. To really understand physics you cannot avoid it!

vanhees71 said:
Then he has to learn the necessary mathematics first. To really understand physics you cannot avoid it!
I want to.But i just don't know where to begin.Could someone give me a complete map of everything about the maths and physics.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Like from The utmost basic maths(not that I need it) to calculus and physics

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Please i want to learn physics .But I just don't know where to begin and where and what to learn.:cry:

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Prof. Herbert Gross and very good explanations on elementary algebra on his website.
In which grade are you now?