1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - Third Edition, by Richard Liboff

1. Jul 20, 2003 #1

pmb

"Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - Third Edition," by Richard Liboff

Does anyone here have "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - Third Edition," by Richard Liboff?

I'd like some help with the way he explains Hermite functions. In the problems he says to prove a the relation

exp(2zt - t^2) = sum(k = 0 - infinty) H_n(z)t^n/n!

Which, of course, is done with a Taylor series expansion. It appears that Liboff wants the reader to prove this with the inormation that he gives in that section regarding H_n(z). But I don't see that its at all obvious.

Anyone?

Pete

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2003 #2
    Liboff question

I will look at in on Monday. I don't have the text with me now.

4. Jul 20, 2003 #3

pmb

Re: Liboff question

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Side question: Do you mind if I ask you something? Do you know the subject matter very well? I.e. have you gone through such a coursesequence or text? I'd enjoy discussing the contents of this book with someone. Are you up for it? Liboff some some weird stuff and there are errors in this verion - alot of errors I think. He also gets into some stuff which is pretty specialized especially in the problems.

Thanks

Pete

5. Jul 20, 2003 #4
    Liboff

Yes, I did go through parts of Liboff.

I used it for my second quantum course and part of my atomic physics course.

I am not an expert, I only have an undergrad., although I did do quite well in the courses. We weren't assigned many of the problems, but I wouldn't mind thinking along side you for some of them.

6. Jul 20, 2003 #5

pmb

Re: Liboff

That'll be great - I'm sure that if we have the same text then one might see what the other might not be picking up on. And I hope this is the case on the Hermite polynomials

Thanks

Pete

7. Jul 20, 2003 #6

pmb

Re: Re: Liboff

In the mean time maybe someone can help me with this -

There is a relation which goes like this

F(z+a) = exp[-(z+a)^2]

Then they claim that the Taylor series expansion of this is

F(z+a) = sum(n=0 - Inf) a^n/n! F^n(z)

F(z+a) = sum(n=0 - Inf) a^n/n! (-1)^n H_n(z) exp(-z^2)

Now how in the world do they get that?

Thanks

Pete

8. Jul 20, 2003 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

exp(-(z+a)^2) = exp(-z^2 - 2az - a^2)
    = exp(-z^2) exp(2z(-a) - (-a)^2)

9. Jul 20, 2003 #8

pmb

I'm sorry. If that was supposed to be helpful then I don't follow. What is your point?

Pete

10. Jul 20, 2003 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you can substitute the equation you were originally considering...

F(z+a) = exp(-z^2) exp(2z(-a) - (-a)^2)
    = exp(-z^2) * sum(k = 0 - infinty) H_n(z) (-a)^n/n!
    = sum(n=0 - Inf) a^n/n! (-1)^n H_n(z) exp(-z^2)

My mistake if you meant that this equation was supposed to be a hint for deriving the equation you were interested in.

Incidentally, what is fair game to use about H_n(z)? I looked up the hermite polys on mathworld, but they essentially start with the egf you're trying to derive. Was hoping to try and help with the original question, but I don't know what you're allowed to use!

11. Jul 20, 2003 #10

pmb

I'm sorry but I still don't follow. My question here is how did they get this equation

F(z+a) = sum(n=0 - Inf) a^n/n! (-1)^n H_n(z) exp(-z^2)

from the definition of F(z+a). One can do the differention and set a a to zero etc but it doesn't tell me where the H_n(z) comes from! And that result is messy!

Thank you

Pete

12. Jul 20, 2003 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm assuming

exp(2zt - t^2) = sum(k = 0 - infinty) H_n(z)t^n/n!

to derive the result for F(z + a)... I'm presuming that since the author has presented this formula in a problem he intends the result to be used to solve other problems, like that of F(z + a)

13. Jul 30, 2003 #12

jeff

Science Advisor

Re: "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - Third Edition," by Richard Liboff

14. Jul 30, 2003 #13

pmb

Re: Re: "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - Third Edition," by Richard Liboff

I think I see now. You're searching my posts to see where I asked a question - then you quote me thus pointing out that I don't know everything.

never claimed I did.

So why are you doing this jeff?

Pmb

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook