Introduction to the Lagrangian form of classical mechanics

In summary, Goldstein's Classical Mechanics is a good book for someone who is not at university level and wants to learn about the Lagrangian form of classical mechanics.
jack47
I've been trying to find a good introduction to the Lagrangian form of classical mechanics. Preferably something I can get over the web, since I'm not at Uni this year. I might like something particularly slow :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
H. Goldstein's Classical Mechanics has an excellent treatment of analythical mechanics in his book. I'm not sure about the English title since my book is the spanish version, but this book is really good.

Bye.

Goldstein is the standard graduate university text. Its helpfull to have some other books around for different perspectives. Two books that I really liked are Classical Mechanics by Tai L. Chow and The Variational Principles of Mechanics by Cornelius Lanczos. Chow covers Newtonian and Langrangian/Hamiltonian stuff. Lanczos speaks a lot about the beauty and change of perspective that comes from treating mechanics without vectors. However these are not available on the web (for free). There's a text called motion mountain that is freely available that I haven't had the time to check out.

There are many sets of notes out there on the web to guide you. Try looking on this website for links, Physics Napster is a good place to go

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=31

Goldstein is the best at a graduate level, Marion/Marion&Thorndike or Fowler are the standards at the ug level. Dated is the Schaum's outling in Lagrangian Dynamics, but I learned quite a bit from it, just takes time.

dt

I think Marion and Thornton is the way to go. I pity anyone who had to learn from the venerable Goldstein without Marion and Thornton to back him up. I also think M. Boas' introduction to the variational principle (upon which Lagrangian mechanics is based) is invaluable.

The Euler-Lagrange equation is easy to apply to many systems that you've probably already analyzed ad nauseum using Newtonian mechanics (F=ma and all that).

The Lagrangian L of a system is defined as its kinetic energy MINUS its potential energy (L = T - V). At this point, you should comment to yourself that this resembles the total energy, which is T + V (or so we've been told), and leave it at that. Also, in general T will be a function of velocity but not position, and V a function of position but not velocity. The exceptions prove the rule.

Write an expression for L for a simple system--I like (1) a body in free-fall at the Earth's surface, (2) a mass on a 1-D tabletop attached to a Hooke spring, and (3) a rigid pendulum (small angle approximation, too.) The E-L eqn says that

d/dt of (dL/dv) = (dL/dx)

By 'v' I mean x-dot, the time derivative of x. x, of course, stands for whatever coordinate appears in your expression of the Lagrangian. In my three examples, there's only one 'x' in each Lagrangian.

Plug 'em in and see what you get!

P

You can for sure try Schaum's book "Theoretical Mechaincs" this is a very good book and full with problems that will clarify things to u. give it a try.

hhegab

Goldstein, by itself, is not a whole lot of fun.

jack47 said:
I've been trying to find a good introduction to the Lagrangian form of classical mechanics. Preferably something I can get over the web, since I'm not at Uni this year. I might like something particularly slow :tongue:

Don't bother with Schaum's or Goldstein. Schaum's assumes that you've taken an upper level mechanics course at the university level and Goldstein is a graduate text. Neither of those are useful for someone who is not at an university level. The best that I can direct you to on the internet is the Harvard lecture notes at

http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~phys16/handouts/textbook/ch5.pdf

Enjoy!

Pete

Thanks for all the responses guys :)

And particular thanks go to pmb phy, for giving me EXACTLY what I wanted (a good first course in Lagrangian mechanics available on the web)

1. What is the Lagrangian form of classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian form of classical mechanics is a mathematical framework that describes the motion of particles or systems in terms of their position, velocity, and energy. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path a particle takes between two points in space is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity that combines the kinetic and potential energies of the system.

2. How does the Lagrangian form differ from the Newtonian form of classical mechanics?

The main difference between the Lagrangian and Newtonian forms of classical mechanics is the approach used to describe the motion of particles. The Newtonian form is based on the laws of motion and the concept of forces, while the Lagrangian form is based on the principle of least action and the concept of energy. The Lagrangian form is often preferred for its simplicity and ability to handle more complex systems.

3. What is the advantage of using the Lagrangian form in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian form of classical mechanics has several advantages over the Newtonian form. It provides a more elegant and concise way of describing the motion of particles, and it is better suited for handling systems with constraints. It also allows for the use of generalized coordinates, which can simplify complex problems and make them easier to solve.

4. What are some applications of the Lagrangian form in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian form of classical mechanics has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and rigid body dynamics. It also has applications in the fields of optics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

5. What are the limitations of the Lagrangian form in classical mechanics?

While the Lagrangian form of classical mechanics is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It cannot handle systems with dissipative forces, such as friction, and it does not take into account the effects of relativity. Additionally, it may be more difficult to apply in certain cases, such as when dealing with non-conservative forces or systems with a large number of particles.