Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction

1. Apr 28, 2017 #1
    Hi, I'm a Swedish student studying information technology with a great interest for physics and mathematics. I hope to be learn new interesting things and hopefully be able to help out a little too with the knowledge I have :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2017 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The electron is not a point charge sitting at the distance you gave from the nucleus. Quantum mechanically, the charge is "smeared out" into a distribution given by the electron wave function. If you do the calculation taking this into account, you should get the right answer.

4. Apr 28, 2017 #3
    (I did not intend this to end up in introduction so I changed the thread to an introduction. Ehm should I revert back to the question or keep both. I screwed up D:)

I know a little about the quantum smudge, yes, but shouldn't the radious stated in my textbook be the average distance? And thus work out the same way?

5. Apr 28, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No worries, just re-post in the technical Physics forums,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook