1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory books

1. May 21, 2009 #1
    I have to self study the following topics what books should I get to do it?

1) Mathematical Physics
    The course is: Linear vector space; matrices; vector calculus; linear differential equations; elements of complex analysis; Laplace transforms, Fourier analysis, elementary ideas about tensors.

2)Classical Mechanics
    Course: Conservation laws; central forces, Kepler problem and planetary motion; collisions and scattering in laboratory and centre of mass frames; mechanics of system of particles; rigid body dynamics; moment of inertia tensor; noninertial frames and pseudo forces; variational principle; Lagrange’s and Hamilton’s formalisms; equation of motion, cyclic coordinates, Poisson bracket; periodic motion, small oscillations, normal modes; special theory of relativity – Lorentz transformations, relativistic kinematics, mass-energy equivalence.
    I have access to the following books but obviously cant read them all
    Classical Mechanics - 3rd ed. - Goldstein, Poole & Safko
    Mechanics 3rd ed. - L. Landau, E. Lifgarbagez
    Classical Mechanics - Point Particles And Relativity - W. Greiner
    Classical Mechanics - Systems of Particles and Hamiltonian Dynamics - W. Greiner
    Classical Mechanics - Tatum
    Hamiltonian Dynamics - Theory and Applications - Cachan, paris
    Structure And Interpretation Of Classical Mechanics - G. Sussman, J. Wisdom

3)Electromagnetic Theory: Solution of electrostatic and magnetostatic problems including boundary value problems; dielectrics and conductors; Biot-Savart’s and Ampere’s laws; Faraday’s law; Maxwell’s equations; scalar and vector potentials; Coulomb and Lorentz gauges; Electromagnetic waves and their reflection, refraction, interference, diffraction and polarization. Poynting vector, Poynting theorem, energy and momentum of electromagnetic waves; radiation from a moving charge.
    Books:
    Classical Electrodynamics - W. Greiner
    Classical Electrodynamics 3rd ed. - J.D. Jackson
    Classical Electrodynamics for Undergraduates - H. Norbury
    Electrodynamics of Continuous Media 2nd ed. - L. Landau, E. Lifgarbagez
    Introduction to Electrodynamics - D. Griffiths

4)Quantum Mechanics: Physical basis of quantum mechanics; uncertainty principle; Schrodinger equation; one, two and three dimensional potential problems; particle in a box, harmonic oscillator, hydrogen atom; linear vectors and operators in Hilbert space; angular momentum and spin; addition of angular momenta; time independent perturbation theory; elementary scattering theory.
    Books:
    Quantum Mechanics - A Conceptual Approach - H. Hameka
    Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development - L. Ballentine
    Quantum Mechanics - an Introduction, 4th ed. - W. Greiner
    Quantum Mechanics - Concepts and Applications - T. Biswas
    Quantum Mechanics - J. Norbury
    Quantum Mechanics - L. Schiff
    Quantum Mechanics - Modern Mevelopment 4ed - A. Rae
    Quantum Mechanics - Symmetries 2nd ed. - W. Greiner, B. Muller
    Quantum Mechanics - Vol 1 - Cohen-Tannoudji
    Quantum Mechanics - Vol 2 - Cohen-Tannoudji
    Quantum Mechanics And Path Integrals - R. Feynman, A. Hibbs
    Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert Space - E. Prugovecki
    Quantum statistical mechanics - Kadanoff, L.P., Baym, G.
    Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - A. Phillips
    Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - D. Griffiths

Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics: Laws of thermodynamics; macrostates and microstates; phase space; probability ensembles; partition function, free energy, calculation of thermodynamic quantities; classical and quantum statistics; degenerate Fermi gas; black body radiation and Planck’s distribution law; Bose-Einstein condensation; first and second order phase transitions, critical point.
    Books:Thermal and Statistical Physics - H. Gould, J. Tobochnik
    Thermal physics - Kittel
    Thermodynamics - E. Fermi
    Thermodynamics An Engineering Approach 5th Edition - Gengel, Boles
    Thermodynamics an introductory treatise - Bryan G.H.
    Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics 2ed - H. Callen
    Thermodynamics and Introductory Statistical Mechanics - Linder B.
    Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics - W. Greiner, L. Niese, H. Stocker
    Thermodynamics- An Advanced Treatment for Chemists and Physicists - E. Guggenheim

Atomic and Molecular Physics: Spectra of one- and many-electron atoms; LS and jj coupling; hyperfine structure; Zeeman and Stark effects; electric dipole transitions and selection rules; X-ray spectra; rotational and vibrational spectra of diatomic molecules; electronic transition in diatomic molecules, Franck-Condon principle; Raman effect; NMR and ESR; lasers.
    books:
    Handbook of Particle Physics - J. Sundaresan
    Introduction to Elementary Particles - D. Griffiths
    Particles and Quantum Fields - H. Klienert
    Quarks and Leptons An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics - F.Halzem,A.Martin
    The Universe in a Helium Droplet - G. Volovik
    Fundamentals of Light Sources and Lasers - Mark Csele
    Solid-State Lasers - A Graduate Text - W.Koechner, M.Bass

Solid State Physics: Elements of crystallography; diffraction methods for structure determination; bonding in solids; elastic properties of solids; defects in crystals; lattice vibrations and thermal properties of solids; free electron theory; band theory of solids; metals, semiconductors and insulators; transport properties; optical, dielectric and magnetic properties of solids; elements of superconductivity.
    Books:Solid State Physics - Ashcroft, Neil W, Mermin, David N
    Solid state physics problems and solutions - Mihaly L., Martin M.C.

Nuclear and Particle Physics: Nuclear radii and charge distributions, nuclear binding energy, Electric and magnetic moments; nuclear models, liquid drop model - semi-empirical mass formula, Fermi gas model of nucleus, nuclear shell model; nuclear force and two nucleon problem; Alpha decay, Beta-decay, electromagnetic transitions in nuclei; Rutherford scattering, nuclear reactions, conservation laws; fission and fusion; particle accelerators and detectors; elementary particles, photons, baryons, mesons and leptons; quark model.

books:An Introduction to nuclear physics - Greenwood, Cottingham
    Fundamentals in Nuclear Physics - From Nuclear Structure to Cosmology - Basdevant, Rich, Spiro
    Advanced Course in Modern Nuclear Physics - J. Arias, M. Lozano

Electronics: Network analysis; semiconductor devices; Bipolar Junction Transistors, Field Effect Transistors, amplifier and oscillator circuits; operational amplifier, negative feedback circuits , active filters and oscillators; rectifier circuits, regulated power supplies; basic digital logic circuits, sequential circuits, flip-flops, counters, registers, A/D and D/A conversion.
    books:Boylestead,Nashelsky

what books should I use? and how should I start studying? which topics to take up first?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2009 #2
    It should only take you a few weeks to get through those.

4. May 21, 2009 #3
    Generally takes some 4 years, lolzz

5. May 21, 2009 #4
    four weeks max, JK! How much math do you know?

6. May 22, 2009 #5
    Your order is about correct, math first then do classical mechanics + EM first, then QM and Thermal, then the rest. Use 1 or 2 books from each section max, not all 10.

7. May 22, 2009 #6
    okay I will go in that order. But I want to know which book would be good for mathematical Physics for the given course? I want some with huge number of "good" problems

8. May 22, 2009 #7
    It seems like the maths course covers a broad-ish range of topics so I'd probably recommend a typical undergrad book like:

https://www.amazon.com/Mathematical...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243026775&sr=8-1"

Should be able to take a look at the table of contents on Amazon, it has plenty of problems and gives an introduction to most topics you'd encounter at the undergraduate level. Will probably be a good idea to build up the collection of maths books as and when you require a more advanced treatment of whatever subject.

(I'm presuming you're at undergraduate level anyway.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  9. May 23, 2009 #8
    Yeah I am at UG level! I had a look at the book at google books. Seems great. I will get it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook