Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory EE Textbook

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1

Defennder

Homework Helper

Hi all. I'm taking an introductory EE course this semester which will cover the following topics. Just for clarification, this is my 1st year at university. The following is the syllabus for the course:

My professor recommended these 2 textbooks for the course, but I checked Amazon.com and have found them to have been trashed pretty badly by the reviewers:

Principles and Applications of Electrical Engineering
    Author:Giorgio Rizzoni Revised 4e / 2004
    ISBN:0-07-119878-4 (ISE) McGraw Hill

Electrical Engineering Principles and Applications
    Author:Allan R. Hambley 3e / 2004
    ISBN:0-13-147046-9

In addition, he also recommended Engineering Circuit Analysis by William H. Hayt, Jack Kemmerly.

Can anyone else recommend any other textbook apart from the above?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

For a practical angle on basic electronics (including lots of circuit examples with real components), I like "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. Check it out at your technical library or school bookstore to see what you think. We have a thread stickied at the top of the EE forum discussing one of the aspects of the book.

4. Aug 27, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Art of electronics" doesn't cover the syllabus for your course BUT if you are ever going to need to use electronics for real you need this book.
    Basically anyone who considers themselves in any way an EE has this book!

5. Aug 27, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Get the textbooks the professor intends to use for the course. The textbook reviews on Amazon are often completely insane. They're usually posted by disgruntled kids who failed their classes.

- Warren

6. Aug 27, 2007 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

I'll check out the book, but only because I'm considering EE as a major, not for the course itself.

Any preferences for any editions of the book over the others? I could get it 2nd hand that and make it worth it that way.

There are 2 of those textbooks. Any idea which is more preferable?

7. Aug 27, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have the 2nd edition from nearly 20years ago, haven't seen the new one yet.
    The advice is pretty timeless, except maybe the last chapter with the 68K micro project.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?