1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory Electromagnetics: induced E-field

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"You have an ideal solenoid with n windings per meter, with a current I = I' sin(wt) going through it. Calculate the induced electric field inside and outside the coil. Side: compare with dipole antenna."

2. Relevant equations

Maxwell equations
    B = n mu I (magnetic field inside a perfect coil)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Shall I assume that we have to calculate the E-field induced by the changing B-field that is in its turn induced from I? Or is there a more primary E-field I'm forgetting...

So if I imagine a coil laying for me from left to right with the B-field inside at a certain moment pointing to the left, I can take a vertical slice. The E-field at a distance r from the center of the solenoid will be pointing perpendicular on the B-field. Due to symmetry, I can argue that in a circle with a radius r (smaller than the radius of the solenoid) the E field is the same in size all over the circle. So with Faraday's Law:

E 2pi r = d(n mu I pi r²)/dt = n mu I' pi r² w cos(wt)

So inside the solenoid: E = n mu I' r w cos(wt) / 2?

For outside the solenoid, I think I can take B = 0, and then with the same symmetry reasoning, I get E ~ 1/r outside the solenoid.

As for the dipole antenna: they're in principle the same? (causing EM-radiation at a distance) That last question is a bit vague...

A difference between the two is that the E-field with a dipole antenna is more "direct", in a way that the charges themselves generate the E-field. Here the E-field is very secondary, only coming from a changing B-field that was induced itself... Is this an important difference?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted