Intro to Limit: Infinity & Zero Cases

In summary: In this case you'll need to do a little more work to find the limit, for example by using L'Hôpital's rule. In summary, when finding limits, it is important to distinguish between the limit existing and the limit being infinity. Both the left and right hand limits must be equal to a real number for the limit to exist. When dealing with a limit that involves a term in the denominator that approaches 0, the method used in the conversation is correct. However, if both the numerator and denominator approach 0, additional steps may be needed to find the limit.
vissh
Introductory "Limit"

hello :D Started to study calculus and was on "limits". I got a little doubt :D
When the value of any limit approaches to Infinity.i.e when the numerator have a non zero number but the denominator gets a zero on putting the variable's value , is it called that the limit doesn't exist??
For eg , can u tell me what is value of following :-
1) limx->2- x/(x-2)
2) limx->2+ x/(x-2)
3) limx->0 3/x
4) limx->5+ 6/(x-5)
5) limx->5- 6/(x-5)

Know that's very basic But if u know pls guide ^.^
Thanks in advance (^_^)

Physics news on Phys.org

It would help a lot if you could tell us what you think the answers are. And it would help even more if you could tell us why you think they are the answers...

hmm.ok this is what i think:- [I using "a" to represent infinity]
1)As x->2 from left side , (x-2) will be a very small -ve number and thus, its reciprocal will get a very big absolute value i.e. its -a[-infinity]and thus -a*(no.close to 2) = -a.
so,for this left handed limit my answer is -a[-infinity] and left handed limit exists.

2)As x->2 from right side , (x-2) will be a very small +ve number and thus, its reciprocal will get a very big absolute value i.e. its +a[+infinity]and thus +a*(no.close to 2) = +a.
so,for this left handed limit my answer is +a[+infinity] and right handed limit exists.

As 1 and 2 have different answers ,thus, limx->2 x/(x-2) doesn't exist.

3)Using same argument as above , the left handed limit will give -a and the right handed will give +a And thus , the right and left handed limit exists. But the books says these doesn't exist as the denominator approaches 0 while numerator doesn't .

So, can u clear it out for me now as i think u will get where i am getting wrong :)

All these limits are correct!
You do need to distinguish between "the limit exists" and "the limit is infinity". If the limit is + or - infinity, then the limit doesn't exist (even if the left and right hand limits are equal).
The only way for a limit to exist, is if left and right hand limits are equal and they are a real number. So, technically, an infinite limit doesn't exist. That's what the book is trying to say...

okz Understood :D Thanks a lot Micro (^.^) One last thing to ask .
Suppose we got a limit limx->a f(x)
And f(x) is a function which have a term in its denominator which gets 0 when we put the value of a and this term can't be removed , do we find the limit by using the method i used ?
Thanks again :)

Edit :- okzzz ^.^

Last edited:

Yes, your method is always the right one. Except when you're in a "0/0"-situation (i.e. if both the numerator and denumerator is 0).

What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or goes to infinity. It is represented by the symbol "lim" and is used to find the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value or goes to infinity.

What is infinity case in a limit?

The infinity case in a limit refers to situations where the input of a function approaches infinity, either positive or negative, and the output of the function also goes to infinity. In this case, the limit does not exist because the function continues to increase without bound.

What is zero case in a limit?

The zero case in a limit refers to situations where the input of a function approaches zero and the output of the function approaches a finite value. In this case, the limit exists and is equal to the finite value that the function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to zero.

How do you determine the limit of a function at infinity?

The limit of a function at infinity can be determined by looking at the behavior of the function for large values of its input. If the function approaches a finite value or goes to infinity as the input gets larger and larger, then the limit at infinity exists and is equal to that value. If the function oscillates or has no definite behavior for large inputs, then the limit at infinity does not exist.

Can a function have different limits at infinity from the left and from the right?

Yes, a function can have different limits at infinity from the left and from the right. This means that as the input approaches infinity from the left, the function approaches a different value than when the input approaches infinity from the right. In this case, the limit at infinity does not exist because the function does not approach a single value as the input gets larger and larger.