How to Solve an Introductory Momentum Problem Using Impulse?

In summary, the question is asking for the final velocity of a 2.0 kg body after a constant force of 10 Newtons is applied to it for 5 seconds, starting with an initial velocity of 40 meters/sec East. The correct answer can be found using Newton's Second Law or the impulse-momentum theory.
majormuss

Homework Statement

Can someone help me solve this Physics question(about momentum)...?
A 2.0 Kg body is initially traveling at a velocity of 40 meters/sec East, If a constant force of 10 Newtons due East is applied to the body for 5 seconds , the final speed the body is?

Homework Equations

Am not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

My own answer to this question was 65m/s... I manipulated Newton's second law...a=F/mass,,, and I got ...v2(final velocity) = Ft/m- v1. Pls explain if your answer is different.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct!
Applying a constant force [tex]\vec F[/tex] on a body of mass [tex]m[/tex] provides that mass with an acceleration given by Newton's Second Law: [tex]\vec a = \frac{\vec F}{m}[/tex]
And from there, you can just use kinematics to find the final velocity.

A second, equivalent approach would be to use the impulse-momentum theory.
That is, [tex]\int \vec F dt=\vec P_f -\vec P_i[/tex]

Just want to add, if your class is studying momentum right now then it would be beneficial to solve this problem using the impulse formula. It is likely that the goal of this exercise is to give you practice using impulse in calculations.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

What is the equation for momentum?

The equation for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all objects before and after a collision or interaction remains the same.

How do you calculate the change in momentum?

The change in momentum, also known as impulse, is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it was applied. This can be written as J = FΔt.

How is momentum different from velocity?

While velocity is a measurement of an object's speed and direction, momentum takes into account the object's mass as well. Two objects can have the same velocity but different momentum if they have different masses.