How many stable isotopes have 28 neutrons?

In summary, the conversation is about a question in Introductory Nuclear Physics regarding the number of stable isotopes with N=28, and the suggestion to look up different possibilities to determine the answer. The person asking the question expresses frustration with the question being on a previous exam.
broegger
Hi.

Can anybody help me with this exercise in Introductory Nuclear Physics:

One of the magic numbers for nuclei is 28. How many stable isotopes exist with N = 28. (N being the number of neutrons)

I have no idea on how to solve this.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
broegger said:
Hi.
Can anybody help me with this exercise in Introductory Nuclear Physics:
One of the magic numbers for nuclei is 28. How many stable isotopes exist with N = 28. (N being the number of neutrons)
I have no idea on how to solve this.
Thanks.
I think you are just supposed to look up various possibilities and see if they are stable.

Start with Z a low number <28 and go to Z a high number > 28 and look up the stable isotopes of each to see if the isotope with N=28 is stable.

AM

Ok, thanks. That's a pretty stupid exercise. I can't believe it was on last years exam.

What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei and their constituent particles, such as protons and neutrons. It also deals with the interactions and transformations of these particles, which are responsible for the release of nuclear energy.

What are the main principles of nuclear physics?

The main principles of nuclear physics include the conservation of energy and momentum, the concept of nuclear forces, and the understanding of nuclear reactions and decay. These principles help us understand the behavior of atomic nuclei and the phenomena associated with them.

What is the difference between nuclear physics and particle physics?

Nuclear physics focuses on the study of atomic nuclei and their interactions, while particle physics deals with the study of subatomic particles and their interactions. Although both fields are closely related, nuclear physics specifically focuses on the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei.

What are the practical applications of nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics has many practical applications, including nuclear energy production, medical imaging and treatment, and materials analysis. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the formation of stars and the universe.

What are the potential dangers associated with nuclear physics?

The main potential dangers associated with nuclear physics include the risk of radiation exposure, the production of radioactive waste, and the possibility of accidents at nuclear power plants. These dangers are carefully monitored and managed through strict safety protocols and regulations.