1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory of Chemistry

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If Bill put enough radioactive matter in one place, the chain reaction associated with multiple radioactive decays can be made to run out of control and will form an atomic bomb. What do we call this amount of matter?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You tell us. Use wikipedia.org or google or your textbook to look for the answer. We do not give out answers here on the PF.

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3
    is it nuclear fission?

i just do not have no idea what radioactivity is all about.
    plus with lack of interest and knowledge in science, it is not my first language to understand it so quickly.
    i not only would appreciate the answer but longer explanation about what this is all about.
    i just read textbook and my assumption is nuclear fission.

5. Sep 28, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The website wikipedia.org is a reasonable place to read up on basic technical subjects. Since this question is related to atomic bombs, if you go to wikipedia and enter atomic bomb in the search window, it takes you to this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bomb

The answer to your question is part-way down the page, in the discussion of fission reactions.

6. Sep 28, 2007 #5
    thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?