What are the measurements and gravity on Planet X inhabited by the Xinbar?

In summary, the conversation discusses the alien culture called the Xinbar who live on Planet X, which has a diameter twice as large as Earth's. Both the Xinbar and humans are made of the same material and have the same weight on Planet X. The conversation also mentions the equation for gravity, and poses several questions about the volume, mass, and gravitational constant on Planet X. In order to solve for these values, the equation for volume of a sphere and the definition of density are mentioned, and the mass of Planet X is found using algebraic methods.
obravo
Hello, sorry if this is an easy question, but I don't quite get it.

Here it is:

Planet X is home to an alien culture called the Xinbar. The planets diameter is twice as large as the Earth's and made out of the same stuff (i.e., the densities are the same). The Xinbar are made out of the same stuff as humans and weight the same on Planet X as we do on Earth. The equation for gravity is shown below, which reduces to mg near the Earth's surface.

(note: I wasn't sure how to put in an equation since I'm new here, but its just the gravitation equation = mg)

(a) What is the volume of the earth?
(b) What is the volume of Xinbar? Determine the mass.
(c) What is the gravitational constant g on xinbar?
(d) We can model humans as cylinder roughly 6 ft tall and 2 ft wide. the Xinbar have roughly the same proportions, estimate how tall they are.
(e) Estimate how much a human would weigh on Planet X.

For part (a) I just used the equation for volume of a sphere using the Earth's diameter. Not sure if this particular problem suggest me to do it a different way.

I did the same for the first part in b, but not sure how to calculate the mass.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want the volume of a sphere I think you'll probably be using a formula that has the radius of the sphere and not the diameter.

The question mentions the densities of the two planets so it'll probably be useful to know that the density of an object is mass per unit volume. Do you have formula that's got density, mass and volume in it? If not, you can work it out from the definition of density. You'll also need to know the mass of the Earth.

The question says that the densities of the two planets are the same. So what I'd do is write down an expression for the density of the Earth and set that = the density of the other planet. With a little algebra you should be able to find the mass of the alien planet.

1. What is introductory physics homework?

Introductory physics homework refers to the assignments given to students in an introductory level physics course. These assignments typically cover fundamental concepts in physics such as motion, forces, energy, and waves.

2. How can I improve my performance on introductory physics homework?

To improve your performance on introductory physics homework, it is important to attend lectures, take detailed notes, and actively participate in class. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from your instructor or peers can also be beneficial.

3. What topics are typically covered in introductory physics homework?

Some common topics covered in introductory physics homework include kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, momentum, and simple harmonic motion. Other topics may vary depending on the specific course curriculum.

4. How long does it take to complete introductory physics homework?

The time it takes to complete introductory physics homework can vary depending on the complexity of the assignments and individual study habits. On average, it may take 1-2 hours per week to complete introductory physics homework.

5. What resources are available to help with introductory physics homework?

There are many resources available to help with introductory physics homework, including textbooks, online tutorials, study guides, and instructional videos. Your instructor and classmates can also be valuable resources for clarification and assistance with assignments.