1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory Physics

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car is traveling at = 24 . The driver applies the brakes and the car decelerates at = -4.0 . What is the stopping distance?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i just started my physics class and I have a horible teacher, i have never taken physics before and i think i just need a push in the right direction!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2
    You know the initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration. Which formula has these 3 knowns as well as displacement (which is unknown, obviously)?
  4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    For the future you should write the unit
  5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi rmax58! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What formulas do you know that include acceleration? :smile:
  6. Sep 29, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi minifhncc! :smile:

Please don't answer other members' questions for them …

especially when they haven't had time to reply to previous help (rmax58 is probably still asleep).

In this forum, we try to minimise the help, so that members can work the problems out themselves, and learn better.

And stop trying to re-interpret the questions … as you yourself said …​
  7. Sep 29, 2008 #6
    Deleted, there happy?

I might not be the best at wordings of questions but I still came 2nd in my cohort for Physics recently, so... =P
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?