Intro Physics: Advice for 13yo

In summary, the conversation discusses a 13-year-old's interest in pursuing physics studies and their concern about their math background. It is suggested that for high school physics, a solid understanding of algebra and basic trigonometry is needed, while college physics requires a knowledge of calculus. Resources such as Khan Academy are recommended for further study.
BlackDeveraux
Hello all,

I'm currently 13 and I'm currently looking to pursue physics studies, but I'm not entirely sure my math backgrounds are sufficient for me to understand elementary physics. I'm on the verge of completing Algebra 2, moving onto Pre-Calc once summer ends.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
High school physicss? Sure. College physics not so much.

celestasia01 said:
High school physicss? Sure. College physics not so much.
I'm fine with High School Physics, but can you link or suggest some resources for my case?

Khan academy maybe. I took calc and college physics at the same time. It was okay

celestasia01 said:
Khan academy maybe. I took calc and college physics at the same time. It was okay
Thanks

For the most introductory physics, all that's really needed is a solid handle on algebra and a knowledge of basic right triangle trigonometry, as well as a working knowledge of basic geometrical properties.

ETA - However, to really do physics, one must have a good working knowledge of differential and integral calculus. A physics class that doesn't include calculus is really just using standardized formulas that are a result of the calculus. Such a class has a much more limited scope, but is still a worthwhile introduction.

1. What is the best way to study for an intro physics class?

The best way to study for an intro physics class is to actively engage with the material by taking notes, completing practice problems, and asking questions. It is also helpful to break up your studying into smaller chunks rather than cramming everything in at once.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to practice applying these concepts in real-world scenarios. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek help from a tutor if needed.

3. What are some common mistakes that students make in intro physics?

Some common mistakes that students make in intro physics include not showing all of their work, not understanding the fundamental principles before attempting more complex problems, and not seeking help when they are struggling with a concept.

4. How can I prepare for exams in intro physics?

To prepare for exams in intro physics, it is important to review all of your notes, practice problems, and class materials. It can also be helpful to create study guides and to take practice exams to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked.

5. What careers can I pursue with a background in intro physics?

A background in intro physics can lead to a variety of careers, including engineering, research, medicine, and teaching. Physics is a fundamental science that can be applied to many different fields and industries, providing a solid foundation for a wide range of career paths.