Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory Quantum Physics Reading?

1. Nov 13, 2003 #1
    I am a first year university student (and have taken chemistry and physics through high school, and still do) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for reading that would give me a good introduction to the basic background ideas behind quantum physics. I've already learned a good deal about Neils Bohr and his gang, but I was looking for something that would be easily accessible to someone with only some basic calculus, a good understanding of chemistry, and a good understanding of physics (i.e. someone like me).

Thank you for any suggestions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2003 #2
    Normally I would either recommend a standard undergraduate quantum mechanics text, or else a non-mathematical popularization. But for someone who is mostly looking for concepts, but who also has a calculus-level mathematical background, I think Vol. III of the Feynman Lectures would be a good choice. Feynman goes quite far without using a whole lot of gory mathematics; you won't learn how to grind through and solve lots of problems, but you will get a solid sense of the foundations of the theory.
  4. Nov 14, 2003 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In addition to the Feynman lectures, I would recommend Modern Physics by Krane.
  5. Nov 14, 2003 #4
    Thanks a lot, you guys!
  6. Nov 16, 2003 #5
    by Marvin Chester
    copyright 1987 (Reprint 1992,?)
    Published by
    ISBN 0-89464-701-6
  7. Nov 16, 2003 #6
    I've heard good things about Chester. Is it back in print again? Last I heard, it wasn't.
  8. Nov 16, 2003 #7
    SEARCH marvin chester
    paperback 19.95
    May 2002
  9. Nov 16, 2003 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?